Professor of Biology Meister Earns Tenure

Neuroscientist receives rarely awarded promotion

By Elizabeth M. Kass, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Cabot Associate Professor of Molecular and Cellular Biology Markus Meister was granted tenure by President Neil L. Rudenstine in January.

In an interview last week, Meister expressed enthusiasm about receiving tenure and said, "It's nice to get positive feedback on what we've done over six or seven years."

Moors Cabot Professor of Biology and Chair of Molecular and Cellular Biology Richard M. Losick said in an interview with The Crimson earlier this month that promotions in his department are rare.

Only 30 percent of tenure offers made by the University in 1995-96 were to its own junior faculty, Losick said.

Meister's laboratory research focuses on how systems of neurons process information.

His laboratory specifically studies how the vertebrate retina takes in visual information, processes and transforms this information and then processes electrical signals which serve as input to the brain.

They are currently trying to figure out how the features of a visual image are encoded in the spike trains that retinal ganglion cells send to the brain.

Meister's research has been published in Science and Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, two of the top scientific magazines in the nation.

The multi-talented members of Meister's lab built some of the high-tech instruments needed for the experiments by themselves.

Meister said that he and some of the other researchers have backgrounds in physics which are "helpful in building our own equipment and nice to have."

He also notes that being able to build equipment that is not yet on the market helps keep them one step ahead of the competition.

Furthermore, Meister said that working in the laboratory is an on-going learn- ing experience because the laboratory members"teach each other and me too."

Ironically, Meister actually started outstudying physics rather than biology.

At an early age, Meister was exposed to physicsby his physicist father. He also did graduate workin physics at the California Institute ofTechnology.

However, Meister said he eventually became"disenchanted" with the theory-based physics fieldand looked for one that was more hands-on.

Professor of Molecular and Cellular BiologyHoward C. Berg, who was then at Caltech, sparkedMeister's interest in the biologicalsciences--specifically in the subject of bacterialmotion.

Meister said Berg inspired him to change hisfield of graduate studies from physics to theinvestigation of how bacteria swim.

After earning his Ph.D. from Caltech, Meisterwent on to Stanford University, where he didpostdoctoral work on the retina and developed muchof the instrumentation that he applies to hisHarvard work today.

Meister left Stanford for Harvard in July of1991.

In addition to his research, Meister teachesMolecular and Cellular Biology (MCB) 138,"Function of Neural Systems" this semester andtaught MCB 117, "Experimental Neuroscience" lastfall.

Meister said he enjoys teaching, even thoughthe subjects he teaches are not based on his ownresearch.

He described it as a good way to "keep up withthe general field."

Meister said that MCB 117 is a "fun" coursebecause students are able to perform smalllaboratory experiments that take two to threeweeks.

Although the research is "not cutting edge,"Meister said it is "useful and entertaining" andthat students "get results [they] feel proud of."

Meister feels that research is a key priorityat Harvard. Consequently, he said there is achallenge for professors in the sciences tocombine a research program with interestingcourses to "keep students challenged."

Meister said he has benefited greatly from"mentorship from senior faculty [in hisdepartment]" and the wide range of resources atHarvard.

Ariel R. Frank contributed to the reportingof this story.CrimsonMatthew P. MillerTHE EYE OF THE RHINO: Cabot Assoc.Professor of Molecular and Cellular Bioogy MARKUSMEISTER stands in front of the BiologicalLaboratories.