A Broken Record

ATHLETE OF THE WEEK ALLISON FEASTER '98

By Eduardo Perez-giz

On any other Saturday, Claudia Asano's hat trick easily would have won her Athlete of the Week. Unfortunately for Asano, Allison Feaster has not graduated yet.

Feaster, co-captain of the Harvard women's basketball team, did something this weekend that no other woman in Ivy League history has ever done. With 14:45 remaining in the Crimson's 74-54 victory over Yale on Saturday, Feaster nailed--what else-one of her patented three-point bombs to break the 2,000-point barrier for her career.

Feaster's 36-point, nine-rebound effort put her in elite company with Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey as the only two Ivy League players, man or woman, ever to record 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in a career. It was Feaster's ninth 30+ point performance of the season, raising her scoring average to 29.3 points per game, tops in the nation.

Feaster's two-game totals for the weekend are impressive by any standard: 64 points, 20 rebounds, seven assists and six steals. Her career totals are simply awe-inspiring: 2,013 points, 1,027 rebounds, 271 steals and 212 assists.

One may wonder what else the All-American can possibly do. How about breaking another record?

Feaster is just 27 rebounds shy of breaking Harvard's all-time rebounding mark of 1,053 which is currently held by Tammy Butler '95. And there are still nine regular-season games left in the season. Frightening, isn't it?

The Crimson congratulates Allison Feaster on her historic achievement, and we thank her for making our selection of an Athlete of the Week such a simple process.