Junior Prof. in Spanish Literature Promoted

By Caroline C. Costin, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Bradley S. Epps, Loeb associate professor of the humanities, received tenure last Thursday in the Department of Romance Languages and Literature.

Department chair Susan R. Suleiman, Dillon Professor of the Civilization of France, made the announcement at the departmental faculty meeting, and it was received with a round of applause.

"I am delighted with Professor Epps' grant of tenure," said Lino D. Pertile, professor of romance languages and literatures and of comparative literature.

"I know him to be an excellent teacher who's devoted to his students," he said.

"[W]ith this tenure, Harvard has demonstrated that it can be fair to its junior faculty and promote those who deserve it," said Luis Fernandez-Cifuentes, professor of romance languages and literature and director of graduate Studies in Spanish.

Only 30 percent of the University's tenure offers are extended to junior faculty, a fact that has traditionally drawn criticism from non-tenured professors.

Epps said he is glad his evaluation is over.

"The tenure process is exhausting," he said.

Epps said he is excited by the prospect of becoming a permanent member of the Harvard Faculty.

"It is a very positive community. I have wonderful colleagues and fantastic students. It is very easy to get spoiled here," he said.

Epps arrived at Harvard seven years ago, after teaching for two years at Emory College and studying at Brown University.

Epps said he specializes in Spanish literature and comparative literatures and is especially interested in Catalan studies.

Ferna'ndez-Cifuentes praised Epps' published work, most notably a book on Juan Goytisolo, saying that it is some of the most insightful and original scholarship produced in his field.

Fernandez-Cifuentes also complimented Epps' administrative and teaching work.

"His service to the department has been truly admirable, and not only because his years as Director of Undergraduate Studies have left a definite mark in our programs, but also (and especially) because of his incomparable availability," he said.

Esther K. Whitfield, a graduate student in theDepartment of Romance Languages and Literature whohas taken two courses with Epps, describes him as"enthusiastic and exceptional."

"His field is not one in most demand, but histeaching style is refreshing and he gives theimpression of being dedicated to the students,"she said. "I would definitely take another coursewith him."

Epp's courses are also well-received in theCommittee on Undergraduate Education's (CUE) Guideto Courses, with several receiving high marks.

Epps, who returned early from a workingsabbatical in Barcelona, will be teaching twocourses this spring, including a Spanishliterature seminar examining the role of realismin Spanish narrative fiction from the latenineteenth century to the present.

According to Fernandez-Cifuentes, Epp's earlyreturn was welcome.

"When I announced to the students that Bradwould be returning this spring to Harvard insteadof extending his sabbatical to the entire academicyear, the reaction of the students was one of suchpleasure and satisfaction as I had never witnessedbefore," he said.

Epps said he was surprised by the announcementof his tenure, especially the speed of thedecision.

Epps said he thought President Neil L.Rudenstine would have to "sleep on" the proposal,but he said that the official offer was announcedsoon after the tenure proposal was submitted toRudenstine