Liu Finds Place in the Fight Game

Harvard woman captures New England title

Darkness, a balcony seat, an aroma of cheap beer and sausage. Suddenly a light illuminates the boxing ring in the center of the floor below.

Welcome to the New England Golden Gloves Championship. It's a different kind of sporting experience, particularly for the Harvard student.

In front of a predominantly male crowd of approximately 800 fans, the boxing event begins. Several male boxers proceed to fight. Then, a voice in the dark balcony whispers, "Next one is a chick fight."

The spotlight shines on Joy Liu, a junior living in Eliot House. It's her turn. That's right: a female boxer emerges in the center of the ring.

Although smaller and much less experienced than her (female) opponent, Joy gains the victory--and the New England Golden Gloves Championship for the novice division.

"She's our champion," fellow boxer Dan Aibel, who is a former Crimson executive, said. "None of our guys got past the second round. Joy was amazing, and the crowd loved her. Most girl boxers are not that talented."

This victory also marked the first time Joy stepped into an actual boxing ring. Due to funding conflicts and sharing spaces with other teams, Harvard does not have its own ring.

Describing her first experience in an actual ring, Joy said, "It was awesome--the lights--loud noises--everyone really rowdy. They love chick fights. The crowd went nuts."

This scene occurs after only one year of training--one year filled with numerous hours of sweat and toil in the mezzanine of the Malkin Athletic Center, where her boxing career began.

"I have always been involved in violent sports," Joy said. "I used to come to the MAC to play basketball. Each time I passed the boxing room, I thought to myself, `I have to do that.'"

Drawn to the sport, Joy trains with Coach Tommy Rawson, a former National Boxing Champion and coach for the U.S. Olympic team.

"Her strongest points include being able to jab, maneuver and move on those feet," Rawson said. "She has a beautiful left hand."

Boxing is not purely an individual accomplishment for Liu. She is also involved with promotion of the whole sport. When newcomers begin boxing, she takes time to offer her advice and teach them the basics. Motivated by Liu, Woden Teachout, a graduate student in Eliot House, started boxing.

"Joy really inspired me," Teachout said.

So how do guys respond to the idea of such a talented female boxer?

"She is totally accepted," Aibel said. "Guys don't have a problem with hitting her in the face, and vice versa. At first, it was a little weird because most girls only fight other girls. But, the coach wanted Joy to spar with us. She's one of the coolest people in the club."

Fellow teammate Franklin Liu, a senior, said, "She's a natural athlete. It's not weird to spar with a female. She beats me up."

Joy is quick to point out that statement is not true.

Although most guys do not have any problems with the notion of a girl boxer, some guys--either out of fear or traditional chivalry--still refuse to fight females.

"The common response when I tell people that I box is, `Wow,'" Joy said. "Then, they assume that we don't really fight because we're girls. Then, I tell them to check it out."

Watching Joy fight leaves no room for doubting her strong ability.

"Some people give me a little attitude because it's not the normal thing to do," Joy said. "It doesn't really bother me; I have been playing sports with boys since I was little."

Regarding her future, Liu, a government concentrator, is considering sports marketing.

"If I could have one fight and make a million, I'd be totally into it," Joy said. "As it is now, I could never cover the plastic surgery I'd have to get."

Boxing is a fun, recreational event for Joy, as it is for most boxers at Harvard.

"We can't let this interfere with their school work," Coach Rawson said. "The primary thing at Harvard is education. Boxing is here for their recreation."

As Joy continues to have fun with boxing, she is also preparing to defend her recent victory in a fight at Boston Arena March 27. Her legacy and talent will perhaps motivate even more females to break one of the stingiest remaining gender barriers and take up boxing.