Human Resources Office in Transition

Outside firm seeks candidates for directorship

Since the January departure of its highly-lauded Director of Labor Relations (DLR), Timothy Manning, the Harvard Office of Human Resources (OHR) has been searching for new leadership.

Manning's successor will not be appointed until at least June, according to Polly Price, director of human resources.

At Manning's suggestion, the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers (HUCTW) rushed to negotiate a contract extension before his departure.

This extension, which HUCTW president Domene M. Williams said augments union benefits significantly, passed last week and will see HUCTW through the year 2000.

Currently the Harvard Police Union is negotiating for a new contract. The Union of custodial workers is scheduled to begin negotiations for a salary increase this summer. But both the OHR and the unions said these negotiations will not be interrupted by the search for a new director.

An independent consultant, Joy Curtis, has been appointed as the acting DLR, and despite the recent departure of Manning's assistant, the rest of the staff in the OHR is "a good team" according to Harvard spokesperson Alex Huppe.

Williams said employees will feel Manning's absence, especially until a full-time replacement is hired.

Managers in many University departments will miss "having someplace to turn for help and support," Williams said.

It's a job that relies heavily on understanding the University, it's not like any other workplace," she continued.

The University's particular structure and atmosphere will play a large part in the choice of Manning's successor.

Price said Harvard is looking for someone who is comfortable with ambiguity, noting the University's decentralization.

A search committee has hired an executive search firm, Gatti & Associates--the firm which place Manning in his new position as director of labor relations at the Boston Edison Company--to compile a list of candidates for the DLR position.

In about two weeks, Gatti should provide Harvard with a list of possible candidates.

Manning said Gatti is particularly skilled at determining the needs of the hiring firm, and has worked for Harvard in the past.

Price said she welcomes input from the unions, and will take their recommendations seriously.

A Successful Tenure

Manning said using creativity and cooperation to reach consensus with the unions was integral to his success during his five years at Harvard.

"I went for four year without any grievances reaching arbitration," he added.

The cooperation of President Neil L. Rudenstine was also important, he said.

Manning said although Rudenstine does not have "a great deal of actual contact" with the unions, "if he sees something funny, he inquires."