Women From Single-Sex High Schools Adjust to Coed Colleges

Each day the Wellesley College shuttle arrives at Johnston Gate, bringing bus-loads of students to campus who made a choice different from that of women at Harvard.

Wellesley students chose to forego co-ed classes and dorms to learn, instead, in a single-sex environment. There are women here at Harvard who faced a similar choice, one whose importance was magnified by their single-sex high school experience. Having attended all-female high schools, (and even, in some cases, elementary and middle schools) these students came to Harvard looking for a change of pace.

Here they found that despite the transition, classes really aren't all that different from what they might have expected at an all-women's college. And neither is the rocky first-year adjustment period. In fact, the biggest difference these student say they encountered at college is the task of adjusting to and interacting with male peers on a daily basis--some for the first time in their lives.

A Firm Foundation

Before they chose between applying to Wellesley or Harvard, Smith or Amherst, many women students already had to decide whether or not to go co-ed--in elementary and secondary school.

Women at Harvard who attended all-female schools at home say this decision was largely made by parents and guardians. However, in many ways the environment in which they grew up--the availability of educational resources and the quality of comparable co-ed schools--also influenced this choice.

"If there had been a co-educational school of the same quality, I would have gone there--there just wasn't," says Gillian L. Chesney '01, who spent nine-and-a-half years at St. Mary's Episcopal School in Memphis, Tenn.

But many Harvard undergrads who, like Chesney, attended single-sex women's high schools, say the educational environment provided unique preparation for the challenges of college life. And challenges at Harvard abound.

"I think the concentration in my high school was a lot more on academics than [in] many co-ed public high schools," Jacqueline C. Hamm '01 says. According to Hamm, who spent four years at the all-female Georgetown Visitation High School in Washington D.C., learning can appeal more to women when they don't feel like they have to worry about appealing to men.

"A lot of girls feel like they're always trying to impress the guys. They feel like they can't show how smart they are," says Hamm. "It made our school more of an intense and focused environment."

But according to a report released to the New York Times yesterday by the American Association of University Women, "Separated by Sex: A Critical Look at Single-Sex Education for Girls," the same-sex atmosphere does not have a significant effect on women's ability to learn. The report, based on several past studies of same-sex Catholic, foreign and independent schools, says that although female students feel more confident in the single-sex classroom, the environment offers them no added academic value.

But college admission figures for students from some women's high schools support Hamm's view that single-sex schooling not only fosters women's self-confidence but also facilitates their classroom interaction. According to Karen S. Andrews, director of College counseling at Boston's Winsor School, 23% of Winsor's graduating classes during the past three years, have attended Harvard, Brown, Stanford or Yale.

While quick to point out that Ivy League admissions should not be the only measure of success for a given school, Andrews also notes that Winsor graduates tend to excel at a variety of top flight schools. She attributes this success to the self-confidence Hamm observed in her ownclassroom at Georgetown Visitation.

"They have become so accustomed to speakingtheir minds, they just assume its their right todo so," Andrews says of Winsor students.

According to Marlyn McGrath Lewis '70, directorof admissions at Harvard and a graduate of WinsorSchool, the single-sex experience plays no role inadmissions committee decisions. McGrath says theoffice has no evidence that all-women schoolsbetter prepare female students for college thanco-educational schools, or even that theireducational environment has a different effect onstudents.

But many female graduates of single-sex schoolshere at Harvard say they gained invaluableconfidence and interpersonal skills during theirhigh school years that they may not have found ata co-ed institution.

"For me, I have more confidence in my opinion,and I'm not afraid of speaking it," Courtney E.Ellis'00, a graduate of the Memphis school, says.

Thousands of miles away, in Dedham,Massachusetts, Lauren E. Brandt '01, reportssimilar experiences at Ursuline Academy, where shegraduated valedictorian of her class.

I grew a lot in that environment," Brandt saysof her time at Ursuline Academy. "It definitelyhelped my self-esteem."

Brandt adds that being in an all-femaleclassroom lent a sense of community to the day today classroom experience.

"Everyone knew what we were going through," shesays.

"We all had similar experiences."

Lewis says that in her own time at Winsor, sheforged friendships that are typical of those atthe most successful women's schools--and nearlyirreplaceable in co-ed classrooms. She says that anelement of closeness eludes women outside of thesame-sex educational system.

"I actually believe that the quality offriendships among girls at girls' schools isuniquely valuable," McGrath says. "It's realcloseness versus competition."

While the social competitiveness McGrathdescribes may not be present in women's schools, acompetitive academic attitude remains. Studentswho attended all-women's schools before arrivingat Harvard say they appreciated the opportunity toexcel in academic fields, especially those oftendominated by male students.

"I was encouraged to take classes in math andscience that I might not have been at a differentschool," says M. Clariss Martinez '99-'98, whoattended the Holten-Arms School in Bethesda,Maryland for six years.

Yet St. Mary's graduate Olivia E. Ralston '99,a Crimson editor, takes issue with the perceptionthat single-sex education changes the way womenperform in an academic setting. Ralston says thatalthough attending a women's school provided herwith a quality education, academic achievementswere not laid out before her.

"I'd like to think that what I did in middleschool and high school was due to my ownmerits--not because there weren't any guys, saysRalston.

But there are some differences in the same-sexclassroom that can breed academic skill andconfidence, according to students. As Martineznotes, single-sex education provides inspiringrole models for young women that are missing fromother secondary schools.

"We had a lot of speakers who were female,"says Martinez of the guests who would address herand her classmates as "future female leaders." Martinez says that positive reinforcement waspalpable. "There was definitely that emphasis,'she says. "I'm tempted to say that because myschool was all-girls it wasn't cutthroat andcompetitive."

Going Co-ed

When the time came to choose a college, somestudents who attended all-women's high schools saythey considered enrolling in a single-sex schoolagain. Brandt, for instance, applied to Wellesley,but eventually decided against continuing hersingle-sex education.

"I highly recommend it for high-school years,but after that, I think you're limiting yourself,"she says.

For some of the St. Mary's graduates currentlyattending Harvard, the decision to go co-ed waseven easier. Ralston, who had attended St. Mary'sfor nine years, says she didn't even consider awomen's college.

"I think it's unnatural," she says. "I enjoybeing around guys."

All graduates of women's schools do not,however, share Ralston's view. Chesney visitedMount Holyoke College, but ultimately decidedagainst attending, opting to ease into the largerco-ed world.

"College is preparing for life; life is goingto be co-ed," Chesney says. "It's easier to makethe transition while I'm in college."

But Andrews says that although most of thestudents she assists at Winsor begin the collegeapplication process in their junior yearcompletely opposed to women's colleges, the tidesoon turns. In the end, she notes that somegradually change their minds and warm to the ideaof a solid, same-sex education.

"Even when they're just visiting [co-educationcolleges], they'll tell me they were surprised howfew people, and specifically how few women, werespeaking up in sections," she says.

A Whole New World

Adjusting to life at Harvard can be difficultfor anyone, but students who went to all-women'shigh schools say their adjustment was not just toa new school, but to a new sex.

"It's been an adjustment that other peoplehaven't had to deal with," says Chesney.

After the length of time she spent in asingle-sex school, Chesney is still learning howto manage her daily interactions with men. What'smost important, it seems, is maintaining a senseof perspective.

"Every time I go to Annenberg, it seems soremarkable to me how there are so many guys," shereflects. "I know that's weird, because whywouldn't there be guys?"

While many graduates of single-sex educationnow attending the College are enthusiastic abouttheir former experience, they acknowledge thatthere are down sides to have grown up in anall-female atmosphere.

"There were things that were missing," saysBrandt of her Massachusetts school. "Guys andgirls have different perspective on life;different ways of viewing the world. Single-sexschools are very good at education, but you misslearning about social interaction."

Chesney, who began St. Mary's Episcopal Schoolin the third grade, says this lack of malecounterparts was pronounced.

"I personally don't have a sense of guys. Irarely was exposed to people my age who weremale," she admits.

The social impact of same-sex education,according to women who attended the College afterspending several years in a women's school, can bedifficult, but not impossible, toovercome--especially given the added sense ofself-worth that many say an all-female classroomfosters.

Confidence is a boon to women arriving atHarvard from all-female schools, and it seems manyretain it long after they've adjusted to life inthe Yard. Despite claims by proponents ofsingle-sex education that its academic effects arenecessary to women's development, students heresay that their learning has not changeddrastically since they've entered co-edclassrooms.

"I did notice it at first, especially in ascience class, where I was one of only a handfulof girls," Hamm says. "[But] I've been veryimpressed with the way girls really speak up hereas muchA-3SCHOOLSCrimsonSamantha A. GoldsteinGILLIAN L. CHESNEY '01 and COURTNEY E. ELLIS'00 pose with one of high school English textsfrom St. Mary's school.

"We all had similar experiences."

Going Co-ed

A Whole New World