Boston Marathon At a Glance

By Stephanie K. Clifford, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Let's pretend that you know nothing about the Boston Marathon. Let's pretend that you go to Harvard, and as a Harvard student, you are expected to pontificate on any given subject at a moment's notice. Let's pretend that you, luckily, picked up a copy of The Crimson this morning.

With the marathon arriving in a matter of days, here is your passport to being in the know about the 102nd Boston Marathon--or at least sounding like you are.

Before The Race

A motley group of more than 12,000 runners will gather in Hopkinton late in the morning on April 20. This, the Athlete's Village (known in non-marathon times as the Hopkinton High School), will offer food, drink and rest areas to the runners. Don't attempt to crash the party, though--it's participants only in the Village.

The runners, made up of official and unofficial "bandit" racers, stretch and hydrate before the chaos of the race in Hopkinton.

Runners can also run for charities, thereby gaining official status while avoiding qualifying times. Justin D. Lerer '99, a Crimson editor, is running for the Red Cross; most other Harvard students are running as bandits.

Participants describe the pre-race atmosphere as exciting and tense.

"There are so many people all there for the same reason and so much energy in the streets, it's hard to be anything but excited," says Sarah L. Thomas '98, who ran in the 101st marathon.

Notes veteran marathoner Timothy C. Harte '90, a third-year graduate student in the Slavic department and a resident tutor in Kirkland, "I get a little antsy. You just want it to start."

Where to Watch

Runners agree that spectators are an integralpart of the experience.

"The spectators were amazing," says Carrie A.Jablonski '98, who ran the marathon last year."Friends and spectators are what keep you goingand what makes it such a memorable experience."

Spectators tend to cluster at town centers onthe long road to Boston, shouting and cheering forthe runners.

"There was a feeling like there were all thesepeople that were out here just to support you;they wanted you to do well and they wanted you tokeep running," Thomas says.

Popular vantage points on the course includeWellesley, Heartbreak Hill, Coolidge Corner andthe last few miles, according to Harte.

Some spectators are of the serious sort,offering hi-fives, oranges and Gatorade to tiredrunners.

However, Jablonski laughs, sideliners were alsomore than happy to offer her and other runnersbeer, in drink or shower form.

The End Is Near

Coming into the Boston city limits, the numberof spectators starts to increase.

"The spectators were great," says Thomas,describing how the crowds roared her name, whichwas written on her leg, as she ran.

"It's probably the closest I'll ever come tobeing some sort of public figure," she says,laughing.

The famed Heartbreak Hill comes at the 17thmile, which is one of the toughest points in therace for many runners.

Lerer, who will run for the first time thisyear, is already dreading the hill. He explainsthat "the race is a net downhill and HeartbreakHill is such a big uphill."

Next comes what Harte describes as "five or sixmiles of sheer pain, trying to get home."

Near the finish line, the streets start toflood with bystanders.

"It's a great finish to the race," Harte says."It's probably one of the most exciting finishesto a marathon."

Sweet Relief

Are the months of training and hours of painworth it in the end?

No doubt it is for the winners. Champions inboth the women's and men's categories will win$80,000 this year, with possible bonuses forcourse and world records.

Runners-up will also receive a prize.

But for the average runner, whose only materialprizes are oranges and Gatorade?

"We're tested academically enough here, but Ireally want to know that I can do something likethis," Lerer says. "I think I will be really happyto say I competed in the Boston Marathon."

Jablonski confirms Lerer's post-finish linehopes.

"It was so worth the experience, and it wasprobably the best experience I've ever had," shesays. "Crossing the finish line you get the mostamazing rush--you can't believe it. It's just anamazing feeling.

Where to Watch

The End Is Near

Sweet Relief

Runners-up will also receive a prize.