Eleganza Elicits Dialogue on Sexuality, Artistry

By Andrew K. Mandel, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

While nobody promised this year's Eleganza would be the model of decency--and posters noted that the annual fashion show was for "mature audiences only"--some have registered discontent with Saturday night's Pforzheimer House event.

In an e-mail message she sent to several student organizations and then released to The Crimson, Chetanna Okasi '98--who founded Eleganza, a student-run fashion show, three years ago--wrote that she felt the show was sinking to new lows.

"The show has sunken to brow-raising depths and it seems that the only thing that remains constant is the desire to be even more raunchy and pornographic than the year before," Okasi said.

While the show included a spirited performance by the '01 Steppers and a rendition of "Lady in Red," sung by Ryan Leslie '98, runway fashion--from evening-wear to swimsuits--dominated the evening.

In a presentation designed by Andy and S. Clark Jacques, Taisha E. Gibson '99, Monica Sneed and Rohan Thomas, some undergraduate and professional models wore baggy suits--and some wore nearly nothing at all.

While she "did not feel there was anything inappropriate" in this year's Eleganza, Gibson acknowledged that she did not encourage her sister--a high school junior--to attend.

Remarking that the show "was pretty well-done overall," Alexakis B. Karteron '01, who attended Saturday night's 8 p.m. show, said she felt some of the segments were "a little inappropriate."

"I didn't expect to see half-naked women for half of the show," Karteron said.

The nature of the evening disappointed those who expected an elegant Eleganza.

"I was extremely disturbed by the content of the large majority of the show," said Rabia S. Belt '01, who noted that while she is not "puritanical," she disapproved of the persistent objectification of women.

"Why was it that women were wearing the see-through dresses and the men were dressed in long sleeved shirts and blazers? Why were the scenes designed so that the women were the sexual objects of the men, subject to their--and the audience's--perusal?" Belt asked.

Event organizers defended their artistic decisions.

Felicia D. Bell '00, president of the show's sponsor, Black CAST, said she appreciated that people had expressed their opinions and qualms about Elegan- za, but felt that artists "can't cater toeveryone's moralities."

Although everyone's concerns are important,Eleganza directors "have the right to proceed asplanned," Bell said. "Last year sparked the samekind of discussion."

Bell said prospective students andundergraduates are at least 18 years-old, and itis important for adults to familiarize themselveswith issues of gender and sexuality.

Although Okasi had expressed that the showpresented a negative image of black student lifeto pre-frosh, Eleganza Executive Producer Janel A.Moore '00 said the show "was about representingthe clothes--not about representing Harvard."

Emphasizing the nearly three months of hardwork both staff and performers injected in thetwo-performance evening, Moore "will not have thatinvalidated" by criticisms.

"I stand by my show," Moore said "There isnothing to defend."CrimsonMelissa K. CrockerSHOWING OFF: A model displaysclothing at the Eleganza fashion show.