Student Groups Gear Up for Celebration of Israel's 50th

By Rachel P. Kovner, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The 50th anniversary of the state of Israel--which takes place this week--is a "tremendously momentous event," according to Hillel Chair Michael M. Rosen '99. And Jewish student groups are planning to celebrate it with an extensive slate of events.

Harvard Students for Israel and Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel are working together on a variety of activities to celebrate Israel's Independence Day--Yom HaAtzmaut--which begins Wednesday at sundown and ends Thursday evening.

The festivities include a semiformal dinner on Wednesday followed by an "Israeli Cafe"--a midnight barbeque at Hillel--and a cultural fair on Thursday outside the Science Center.

"This is a largest Israel independence program that Harvard Students for Israel and Harvard Radcliffe Hillel have every put on together, and rightly so," says Hillel Chair Michael M. Rosen '99.

Celebration organizers say Israel's 50th anniversary is particularly meaningful.

"Many in the Jewish community consider the declaration of the independence of the state of Israel to be the most monumental event in 2,000 years of Jewish history," says Rustin C. Silverstein '99, one of the co-chairs of Harvard Students for Israel. "Especially given that these 50 years have been tumultuous, it makes the anniversary that much sweeter."

"A number of American Jews have personal reasons for celebrating Israel," he adds. "Many have lived there or travelled there."

According to Benjamin Labwohl '99, the other co-chair of Harvard Students for Israel, the 50 year-old state's significance transcends its role a religious homeland. It is also an important 20th century success story, he says.

"Israel represents an astounding example of progress in the post world war period," he says. "It's a very young nation but with many accomplishments to speak for, both culturally as well as in the form of its government, as a vibrant democracy."

Student organizations intend to use the anniversary to raise awareness of Israeli culture on campus.

"It's a great opportunity to raise awareness both for Jewish students who don't necessarily know very much about Israel, but probably even more so for non-Jewish students who don't know that much about Israel, who will be able to see it from a variety of different perspectives," Rosen says.

"We're using this opportunity to introduce the campus to the significance of Israel in the world," Lebwohl adds.

The kick-off event of this week's celebration will be the semiformal dinner on Wednesday night. Although RSVP is required, there are a few slots remaining, according to Rebecca J. Slotnick '99, who has organized the Israel at 50 festivities along with Sarah C. Melvoin '00. At the event, which will be held at Hillel, "several undergraduates, the Director of Hillel, and possibly some faculty members will be relating their thoughts and experiences with Israel," Lebwohl says.

Later that night, there will be a midnight barbeque in Hillel's courtyard, featuring "hot dogs, hamburgers and Israeli junkfood," according to Lebwohl. The event, which is billed as an "Israeli Cafe" will run form 11 until 1.

On Thursday, organizers have planned a "cultural extravaganza" outside the Science Center, which will feature Israeli food, music, dancing and information booths describing Israeli culture, geography and information for students interested in travelling to Israel, according to Silverstein.

"We did it there [outside the Science Center] to make sure entire campus is able to be there and able to learn about the state of Israel. It's important that it's something everyone can be part of," he said.

Thursday afternoon will also feature a documentary about Israel in the Lamont Forum Room and community service projects at Hillel.

The celebration ends with several events at Hillel. In place of the usual dining services fare, Hillel will feature an Israeli falafel stand in its dining hall, complete with "Israeli style condiments and students serving food in Israeli manner," according to Lebwohl.

Then, at 6 p.m., Dr. Bernie Steinberg will lead the final session of the Center for Jewish Learning's class on Israel at 50, which has been going on throughout the semester, where he will discuss "contemporary Jewish identity and the quest for spiritual identity," according to Hillel's schedule.

The lecture series, which began in February, has also featured visiting Israeli government officials and Harvard professors Jay Harris and Ruth Wisse, among others.

Conference organizers, who Slotnick says have been working on the celebration all year, say Harvard students have shown a great deal of interest in the events thus far.

The planners hope that as the events approach, even more students will get involved.

"We want people to see the posters and get excited on the day of the events," Slotnick says. She adds that events were being held in the Science Center "so people don't even have to got out of their way."

"I can tell you based on the response that we've gotten from students who want to be involved in the planning that Israel matters a great deal to number of Harvard students," Silverstein adds. "I only hope that this interest is reflected in attendance and participation."