Undergrads Plan Self-Led Classrooms

By Talhia T. Tuck, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Dissatisfied by the undergraduate academic experience, seven students met Sunday night in the Dunster Junior Common Room to discuss how students could take control of their education by leading their own sections and classes.

"Cambridge New College", the brainchild of organizer Joel B. Pollak '99, would organize student-led classes and "create new intellectual space on campus"--but not secede from the College itself.

Pollak said getting course credit would not necessarily be an objective of the program.

He said he drew inspiration for the project from similar programs at Princeton, the movement for an ethnic studies concentration and the alternative study group in Social Analysis 10: "Principles of Economics," where students have formed their own section to discuss approaches that differ from the established curriculum.

He also cited the recently-released Carnegie Foundation report that criticized teaching at large research institutions like Harvard as a wake-up call to students to take charge of their own education.

Pollak himself suggested courses on the history of Cambridge in the '60s and urban life in Boston, but he emphasized these were suggestions and that students involved in the project could take it in any direction they wished--including changing the name to something more "benign" than "Cambridge New College."

While ideas during the brainstorming ran the gambit, students agreed on the need to lend each other during the learning process.

"Sections can be limiting because students are trying to placate section leaders," said Laszlo P. Nagy '99.

Whatever the specific direction the organization takes, its fundamental purpose would be to encourage students to develop and teach their own courses and provide them with the resources necessary to do so.

Despite the low turnout, Pollak and otherattendees were optimistic saying that manystudents had expressed interest in the idea.

"Tonight's meeting is not indicative of whatyou really have," said Sumedha Lamba '99.

Pollak said he plans to shift into high gearnext fall when energy levels are higher.

In the meantime, he says he will talk to peopleinvolved in alternative study groups to get ideason what they are doing