Alumni Demand More of Harvard Overseers

Letters

To the editors:

As a candidate for overseer, I was pleased to read about the overseer election in The Crimson (News, April 23). Last year I came within 83 votes of winning a seat and am running again with the support of hundreds of friends and classmates. One of my proposals is to integrate the House system throughout the University.

Within the professional and graduate schools, activities should be integrated to form personal and professional relationships which will broaden the knowledge and character of each student in all the separate schools. The attempt by the Business School Alumni Association to buy the election by supporting their candidates is an indication of the need to promote ethics and mutual understanding in all groups in society. The flap caused by their indiscretion should serve as a lesson to the business community which as a whole dominates the Overseers. Alumni throughout the country are asking more of the Overseers. They see the need for a new and better Harvard. That is the challenge for the future. JOHN E. JACOBY '66   New York, N.Y.   April 29, 1998