O Canada! Fleiszer Going to CFL

By Bryan Lee, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

It's nice having options. Senior defensive lineman Tim Fleiszer had two good ones, and he has decided to become the man in Canada.

Fleiszer, the number one overall pick in the Canadian Football League draft, has signed a two-year deal with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for undisclosed terms.

The contract runs for one year with an option for another and brings to an end the speculation over where the 6'3,", 270 pounder would be playing next year. He had been entertaining offers of free agent contracts from three NFL teams.

"We talked to a bunch of teams, especially Miami, Chicago and St. Louis," Fleiszer said. "It pretty much came down to St. Louis. We were talking for a week, and we were still discussing things with Hamilton.

Even though Fleiszer chose the CFL over the NFL in the short term, he clearly has the NFL on his mind.

"Hamilton was offering a three-year deal and nothing less," Fleiszer said. "We got them down to one year and an option year. I'm absolutely still interested in playing in the NFL, and that's part of why I accepted the contract, since I have the option to try [for the NFL] next year."

"I'm an unrestricted free agent in two years at worst. And if I stay in the CFL, veterans make two or three times what I'll be making now."

Another factor in Fleiszer's decision was the greater probability that Fleiszer, a product of Westmount, Quebec, would make an immediate impact in the CFL.

"As a rookie, I have no idea about the next level," Fleiszer said. "I talked to [Harvard senior safety] Jeff Compas [who signed a free agent contract with the New England Patriots], and he said it's different because everyone is much better and there's more speed--everything happens fast.

"There were two situations; I could be scratching and clawing to get on an NFL team, or I could have a better chance and maybe even start in the CFL."

Fleiszer emerged as a valuable prospect during Harvard's 9-1 season--the school's first-ever 7-0 Ivy campaign. He was honored as a First Team All-Ivy selection for his 33 tackle and five sack performance.

Besides his play during the season, Fleiszer had outstanding workouts during the offseason, running a very fast (especially for his position) 4.72 in the 40-yard dash. His speed should help him in the fast-paced Canadian game.

The deal has been signed and sent and now awaits clearance from the CFL Player's Association and the league. Although Fleiszer can't say exactly what he's making, he says, "I'm definitely not hurting myself by doing this instead of investment banking or consulting."

For now, Fleiszer will do his best to make an impact for Hamilton in return for the faith the Tiger-Cats showed in taking him. He reports for camp June 6, and the season begins in July.

"I'll keep training hard," Fleiszer said. "Everyone says that the pro season is long--instead of playing three months, you're playing six."

"You have not only to report in condition but maintain it," he said.

"The one thing I can control is my effort. I can always give 100 percent," he said.