Teachers Get A+ at Prize Ceremony

By David S. Stolzar, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Less than two weeks after a Carnegie Foundation report blasted the teaching quality at major research universities, the Undergraduate Council last night honored those professors and teaching fellows who display a true commitment to undergraduate education.

At the 15th annual Joseph R. Levenson Memorial Teaching Awards Banquet, the council recognized the work of one senior Faculty member, one junior Faculty member and one teaching fellow (TF).

Richard J. Tarrant, Pope professor of the Latin language and literature, received the Levenson award for a senior Faculty member; Assistant Professor of Economics Andrew P. Metrick was recognized as a junior Faculty member, and Aaron R. Lobel, the Leverett House government tutor, received the award for a TF.

Student could nominate their TFs or professors for the award by submitting a 250-word paper to the council. The council's Student Affairs Committee (SAC) then debated the nominations and chose a recipient from each category.

Joseph A.M. Sena '99, co-chair of the council's Levenson Committee, said it was important to recognize undergraduate teaching at a large research university where renowned professors are often detached from their students.

"A lot of professors and TFs can get wrapped up in research or in the effort to become a senior faculty member here," Sena said.

Tarrant, who was nominated for his teaching of Literature and Arts C-61, "The Rome of Augustus," and a Latin literature class, said he has always tried to gain knowledge and feedback from his students, even in large lecture classes.

"In the same way a teacher's puzzlement can be a source of help to a student, a student's puzzlement can help show a teacher where the message isn't getting across," Tarrant said. "That's one reason why, when it has been feasible, I try to run a section in the Core course."

The student who nominated Tarrant praised his creative lecture style and use of visual and audio aides. At one lecture for "The Rome of Augustus," Tarrant even sang part of an opera based on Virgil's Aeneid.

Tarrant said he accepted the award "as a representative of the senior Faculty...who derive an intellectual and personal satisfaction from teaching."

Metrick, who teaches microeconomic theory, said junior faculty members should be grateful for the opportunity to teach in the Harvard community.

"We're in paradise now, but we may not be here forever," he said.

Metrick was praised for his "clear, animated" lectures "full of anecdotes and jokes," in his student's nomination paper. Metrick is also know to throw candy to students who answer questions in lectures.

Lobel, a TF for Historical Studies A-12, "International Conflicts in the Modern World," was praised for the section discussions he leads--classes which at times spill over into dinner, and even into the next morning's breakfast.

"I try to make sure the discussion is structured and focused," Lobel said. "I also try to show [the students] how the more abstract theories apply to what's going on today."

Lobel, who is currently writing a dissertation on the end of the Cold War at the Kennedy School of Government, said he hopes to become a professor after he completes his studies.