W. Volleyball Falls Short of Ivy Title

W. VOLLEYBALL

By William P. Bohlen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

In a year filled with successful Crimson sports teams, the Harvard women's volleyball team (25-9, 7-0 Ivy) was among those at the top.

Despite finishing its season in the fall of 1997, the team cannot easily forget its successes, because there were many of them. Deciding which to focus on is the tough part.

"There were a lot of big wins," said sophomore outside hitter Allison Fitzgerald. "It's hard to pick a biggest win."

Among the big wins were seven against Ivy foes in an undefeated League season. In those matches, the Crimson dominated, losing just five individual games.

Record: 25-9, 7-0 Ivy

Coach: Jennifer Bates

Highlights: Perfect Ivy League regular season; Katherine Hart named Ivy Rookie of the Year

Seniors: Elissa Hart, Lolita Lopez

In the nonconference matches, the Crimson defeated the likes of Boston College, Army and Navy. Tough losses came at the hands of Connecticut and Massachusetts but did not spoil the season.

"We had an incredible season," co-captain Lolita Lopez said. "I'm definitely pleased."

The team was relatively young this year--there were only two seniors to four freshmen. Lopez and fellow co-captain Elissa Hart were there to guide the team early on.

The youngsters on the team, however, quickly came into their own.

"The freshmen became sophomores toward the end of the season," Lopez said. "They were forced to grow up fast."

Among the freshmen to make an immediate impact was middle hitter Katherine Hart, Elissa's little sister. Katherine earned Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors through her valuable contributions at the net.

"Katherine Hart was phenomenal," Fitzgerald said.

While the team claimed the Ivy League championship, they did not, however, win the Ivy tournament.

Harvard fell hard, finishing 2-2 in the tournament at Yale. It was a lackluster finish to an exceptional season.

Still, Coach Jennifer Bates' squad was much improved from just over a year ago. That team finished the 1996 season at 17-17.

The outlook for the Crimson's future is good. While losing two senior starters, Harvard retains a core unit from this season.

"It looks really good," Fitzgerald said. "Everybody is excited to get in shape for the coming season."

In addition to the returnees, the Crimson will add two promising freshman recruits from Georgia and California, continuing the recent tradition of strong recruiting.

"They just have so much talent on that team, and they are so young," said Lopez, who graduates today.

Experienced youth, while sounding like a good band name, means exciting things in the years to come for the Harvard women's volleyball team, perhaps even the trip to the NCAA tournament that eluded it this season.