Longfellow House Will Get $1.6 Million Grant

U.S. and Harvard presidents lived in historic building

Although it looks like just another stately residence on a quiet, tree-lined block minutes from Harvard Square, the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow House, at 105 Brattle Street, is a treasure-chest of American history.

Currently, the site awaits a $1.6 Million grant from Congress. The National Park Service plans to use the funds for a renovation project to safeguard the home and its historic furnishings.

The Longfellow House contains authentic period furniture--ornate candelabras, a Dutch grandfather clock from 1750, marble busts and portraits in gold frames--which fill musty rooms, spacious by today's standards.

Built in 1759 in the classical Georgian style, the residence was George Washington's headquarters during the Siege of Boston in 1775. Three Harvard presidents boarded there.

But the residence is best known as the home of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, the American poet.

"Longfellow's lyrical style makes me refer to him as the Irving Berlin of American poets," says House Guide Paul D. Blandford while conducting a tour.

Longfellow lived in the house from 1837 to 1882. Although he is best known for poems like "From My Armchair" and "Song of Hiawatha," Longfellow was also a Harvard professor who could speak or translate 12 languages.

The house holds 11,000 volumes, which fill nearly every room. Dark wood bookcases line the walls of Longfellow's study, and even one of the windows was converted into shelving.

The house was a meeting place for writers including Ralph Waldo Emerson, class of 1821, and Nathaniel Hawthorne. Its archives hold numerous letters, including those written by Emerson and Julia Ward Howe, writer of "Battle Hymn of the Republic."

Blandford says Longfellow was a good friend of the abolitionist Charles Summer.

"[Longfellow] hated whatever tyrannized the human spirit--including slavery," Blandford says.

Longfellow's daughter Alice co-founded Radcliffe College with Elizabeth Cary Agassiz in 1879. The college's first graduation exercises were held in the parlor room, above the same floor Washington's generals slept on.

According to Director James M. Shei, upgrades of the house will include installation of a fire suppression system andclimate controlled vaults, updating of theelectrical systems and the addition of aneducational center within the carriage house.

House Guide Lauren M. Malcolm says a lift forhandicap access and new furnace and ventilationsystems will also be part of the renovations.

Although the improvements are needed to ensurethe future security of the house, the funding hasbeen slow to come.

The Friends of the Longfellow House was formedclose to five years ago by Diana Korzenick, whogrew to care deeply about the site whileconducting research there.

Korzenick says the group raises communityawareness of the site through a newsletter andcultural events held on the lawn every Sundaysummer afternoon.

The group also wrote letters and spoke tolegislators in an attempt to solicit funds.

Edie Bowers, the vice president of the Friendsof the Longfellow House, is thegreat-granddaughter of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Although the house appears inconspicuous, itdraws visitors from around the world.

Blandford estimates 50 percent of the visitorsare foreign.

Wherever their homes are, all visitors get ataste of authentic American culture.

"I thought it was fascinating; you're able torelive history and the spirit of Longfellow," saysPatricia J. Leur, from Long Beach, Calif