World Prepares for Soccer Final in Paris

Cultures come together, share soccer

PARIS--Jamie G. Aleval, 26, is one of the more colorful patrons at the McDonald's Cafe on the Champs Elysees. Chanting national songs with fellow Chilean fans, he sports a tall red hat emblazoned with the logo of the Chilean flag and a shirt to match. When tourists approach him, he good naturedly poses for pictures.

Unlike some of the passing tourists who stop to admire his regalia, he is in Paris to see more than the Eiffel tower or the Louvre.

"I am here to see Chile win," he says.

Like millions of fans from all over the globe,Aleval has followed his country's soccer team toFrance for the World Cup competition--the mostwatched sporting event in the world--held everyfour years. This year, games were held in ninemajor French cities.

Joseph H. Osnoss '00, who is working in Parisfor the summer, has had the chance to observe theWorld Cup pandemonium up close. "Being in France,you're kind of swallowed up by the partyatmosphere," Osnoss said.

In Paris, the competition cannot be avoided,for all street vendors sell soccer souvenirs whileit appears that every cafe and bar in the citybroadcasts the games.

Using a little ingenuity, Osnoss was able toattend a sold-out match, his first glimpse ofinternational soccer competition. "It's verydifficult to get a ticket, but I got one for aminor match," he says. Osnoss says he bought histicket from scalpers once the game had begun.

The atmosphere in France is a mixture ofnational pride and good-natured cultural exchangebetween countries. Osnoss remembers a Tunisiandance exposition held outside the stadium afterthe match he saw.

"That could only have happened because of theWorld Cup," he says. "The fans from each countrybring with them not only their soccer teams butalso a slice of their culture."

Fans revel in the idea of soccer as a globallyunifying love. It is the most popular sport in theworld, even though it has not yet attained thesame following in America.

"I have met many people--Holland, Argentina,Brazil, Jamacia--all together for the Mondial[World Cup], enthuses Aleval. "All the people fromall over the world coming together for onething--football."

Indeed, the atmosphere in Paris is remarkablyfriendly among fans of competing nations. BeforeScotland and Brazil's match, for example, Scotsplaying bagpipes posed for pictures withyellow-shirted, flag waving Brazil fans.

Of course, there is always a lot of chestthumping as fans anxiously root for their ownteams. "You can tell which two teams are playingjust walking down the street and seeing what thepeople are saying, wearing, and singing," saysOsnoss.

The streets get markedly quieter when Franceplays a match as the populace moves indoors towatch. On Wednesday, France beat Croatia 2-1 inthe semifinals, giving them the chance to playBrazil in the finals.

The French are not as passionate about socceras other European countries, but they are jubilantnonetheless, says Seamus P. Malin 62, an ABCsoccer commentator and director of the HarvardInternational Office.

"I think it will be a national celebration,"Malin says.

In Toulouse and Marseilles, rivalries got outof hand when incidents of rioting and fighting,mostly by English and German soccer hooligans,left one police officer in a coma.

"I don't like the hooligans and what happens inMarseilles," says Virginie Taravel, a nativeParisian and student at the Arts Decoratifs deParis.

"However, most of the fans are not like that.There is a very good ambiance here," Taravel says

"I am here to see Chile win," he says.