Lions Turn Tables on Football

Columbia hands Harvard first goose egg since 1994

By Bryan Lee, SPECIAL TO THE CRIMSON

NEW YORK--Columbia's Lawrence A. Wien Stadiumis in a rough neighborhood. Fittingly, when the Harvard football team visited Saturday, it was mugged, 24-0.

Columbia (1-0, 1-0 Ivy) copied Harvard's (0-1, 0-1 Ivy) eight-man attacking defensive scheme over the offseason, and the result made Columbia Coach Ray Tellier look like a genius. In fact, Columbia's defense resembled Harvard's championship defense of a year ago. HARVARD0 COLUMBIA  24

"We got beat up in the trenches," Harvard Coach Tim Murphy said. "Last year that was our strength--the ability, toughness, and leadership in the trenches."

The Lions became the first team in 32 games to shut out Harvard, limiting the Crimson to 169 total yards and forcing four turnovers. Columbia's front four blew the Crimson's offensive line off the line of scrimmage and seemed to spend most of Saturday afternoon in the backfield. At halftime, Harvard had gained only 58 yards on 20 plays and had only three first downs to show for 30 minutes of work.

"I hate to steal Ray Tellier's line from last year, but at least no one got killed," said Murphy, referring to Tellier's quote after Harvard's 45-7 win. "We got our butts kicked, and that starts with the head coach. They were just bigger, stronger, and tougher on this day."

Columbia put enormous pressure on Harvard junior quarterback Rich Linden, who was sacked three times and was hurried and knocked down several more times. Harvard's offensive showing was a far cry from the one in last season's opener, and Linden could only complete 10-of-17 passes for 60 yards.

"We just got outplayed in every facet of the game today," Linden said. "They just brought the heat. We've played games like that before, played against good defensive lines. I think it was kind of a case where when we could get protection, we couldn't get guys open or we made bad decisions, and when we had guys open, we didn't have that extra step to throw the ball."

The inability of Harvard's passing game to get untracked was even more surprising because of the inexperience of Columbia's secondary, which returned only one starter from last year. And that starter, Chris Tillotson, was suspended fromSaturday's game for violating unspecified teamrules. Harvard was unable to exploit the weakness.

"I don't think we got a lot of a chance to takeadvantage of their secondary because they gotconsistently good pressure on us," Murphy said."With their outside linebackers blitzing and[defensive end] Rashaan Curry having an excellentday, I'm not sure we got as good a chance to testtheir young secondary."

Harvard's running was just as ineffective asits passing, and Columbia's defensive linepenetration created eight tackles for loss. Juniorrunning back Chris Menick averaged 126.7 yards pergame last year but gained only 37 yards on 13attempts.

Columbia's offense enjoyed a 35:41 to 24:19advantage in time of possession but had almosttwice as much possession as Harvard in the firsthalf. Columbia's offensive line dominatedHarvard's inexperienced defensive line, opening upholes for a two-running back attack that produced196 yards rushing.

Junior tailback Norman Hayes was the ram thatwore down Harvard's defense, which tired becauseof the Lions' advantage in possession and the 75degree heat reflecting off the artificial turfsurface. Hayes carried 22 times for 65 yards andone touchdown, and freshman Johnathan Reesecarried 11 times for 78 yards.

"Wow, who the heck is that?" Murphy asked ofReese. "We're still asking ourselves that."

Columbia got in front in the first quarter withan 11-play drive that went 53 yards in 4:58. Thedrive began after junior punter Mike Giampaolo'seffort went only 39 yards with a 28-yard net.Giampaolo would be forced to leave after the playbecause he pulled a muscle during pre-gamewarmups.

During the series, the Lions introduced a newlook on offense with former running back JasonBivens playing option quarterback from a wishboneset. Columbia used the wishbone on two seriesduring the drive, including Bivens' one-yardtouchdown run on fourth and goal with just underseven minutes left in the first quarter. Therushing touchdown was the first Harvard's defensehad allowed in league play since 1996.

Junior Jonathan Patton replaced Giampaolo aspunter, and his eight punts averaged only 31.3yards. After a 31-yard Patton punt, Columbia tookover with 9:07 left in the first half at its own37. Fourteen plays and 44 yards later--hardly animpressive average--Columbia's Neal Kravitz booteda 36-yard field goal.

The scoring drive lasted 8:02 and was typicalof Columbia's possessions. Although the Lions didnot break many big plays, they faced 17 third-downconversion opportunities, which demonstrates howmany offensive plays they ran.

However, when Columbia salted the game away inthe third quarter, it was with two quick drives.The Lions drove 61 yards in only four plays and1:36, ending when quarterback Paris Childressrolled left and found a wide-open Mark Cannan atthe 5-yard line. Cannan walked in for thetouchdown when senior free safety Derek Yankoffrushed forward at Childress instead of droppingback.

Linden's second interception, a pass intendedfor sophomore Josh Wilske that went straight toColumbia linebacker Paul Roland, set up the lastscore of the day. Roland returned the ball 35yards to Harvard's 1-yard line, and Hayes punchedthe ball in on the next play for the final score.

The symbol of Harvard's frustration might havecome in the fourth quarter, when Columbia punterRyan Kiernan's punt rolled 40 yards despite beingpartially blocked by linebacker Clint Kollar. WhenHarvard took over at its own 45-yard line, itcommitted holding penalties on consecutive plays,resulting in a first-and-40 situation. Sloppinesswas just another one of Harvard's problems, as theCrimson committed eight penalties for 70 yards.

Next week, Harvard travels to Colgate, whichmay be the toughest team on Harvard's schedule. Ifthe Crimson offensive and defensive lines do notimprove their performances next week, Harvardfaces the unwelcome possibility of being 0-2 andresembling the 1994-96 teams that were 10-20 moreclosely than the 1997 team that was 9-1.

"We go from the proverbial frying pan into thefire," Murphy said. "We'd better be ready to strapit on."Seth H. PerlmanCrimson