Veteran Security Guard Dies on Duty

By M. DOUGLAS Omalley, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

A Harvard University security guard died Sunday afternoon while on duty in Agassiz House, apparently of a heart attack.

John M. Weisenmiller, 69, of Somerville, was nearing the end of his 12 to 4 p.m. shift when he collapsed just outside the Lyman Common Room.

Harvard University Police and emergency personnel arrived on the scene at about 4 p.m. and began administering CPR, according to Harvard Police Sgt. Jim McCarthy.

Weisenmiller was rushed to Mt. Auburn Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, said Harvard spokesperson Alex Huppe. The hospital would not comment on Weisenmiller's death.

Weisenmiller's friends and family say they will miss his sense of humor and warmth.

"He really loved Harvard, and he worked there until the day he died," said Mark Weisenmiller, one of John Weisenmiller's three surviving sons. "He'll be missed by all of us."

"He was very happy-go-lucky, very personable and gregarious," Mark Weisenmiller said.

John Weisenmiller was born in Cumberland, Md., and moved to Massachusetts in the '50s. He had been married for 43 years at the time of his death.

Although he suffered a previous heart attack, his health seemed stable at the time of his death, according to his son.

Friends and co-workers of Weisenmiller described the security veteran as particularly outgoing and friendly.

"Always a smile, always a story," McCarthy said. "He was a good guy."

Weisenmiller began work as a Harvard security guard in 1964. He loved his job, friend say, and was always upbeat and full of humor.

"He had a phenomenal memory," said James W. Coveney, superintendent of LowellHouse, one of many locations where Weisenmillerworked. "He would remember people coming back forreunions 25 years later by name. He was just a bigteddy bear."

While on duty at a Harvard football game in1986, longtime friend and co-worker MichaelFerguson approached a cheerleader and introducedWeisenmiller as the 1930s Tarzan of theApes star Johnny Weissmuller, pointing toWeisenmiller's nameplate.

Weisenmiller then unabashedly gave a tremendousTarzan yell and began to sign autographs for thecrowd that gathered.

Weisenmiller was working part-time in recentyears, mostly on weekends at Agassiz and at theGraduate School of Education.

Mark Weisenmiller described his father as aloving man who really cared about his three sons,all in their 30s.

"We meant a lot to him, and he wanted to showus the right way to live. That was his passion,"Mark Weisenmiller said.

Friends close to John Weisenmiller recalledthat he was concerned about the health of hiswife, who recently suffered a stroke.

A wake for Weisenmiller will be held onWednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at Keefe Funeral Home,2175 Mass. Ave., and funeral ceremonies will beheld Thursday at 9 a.m. in St. John's Church, 2254Mass. Ave