Final Club A.D. To Exclude All Non-Members

Policy change may mean an end to co-ed parties

By Victoria C. Hallett, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The graduate board of the A.D. final club announced Wednesday night--to the chagrin of some of its members--that the club's doors were being closed to non-members.

"It was a determination that was made by the graduate committee in consultation with the undergraduate officers that the club had become too open," said Patrick Grant Jr. '70, president of the club's graduate board. "We did not like that direction."

Luncheons or other traditional events that have taken place at the club for many years will be the only functions that will be exempted under the new policy, he said. The club has yet to decide whether it will continue to hold parties, and its decision could prompt other clubs to follow suit.

Grant called the club's decision a return to tradition, but it appears concern over legal liability was at least a factor. Meanwhile, most club members said they were socially accepting what will be a drastic change.

Kennesh II. Ahn '00, an A.D. member, said members first heard about the policy change two nights ago.

"Grads thought it was too much of a liability. Final clubs were not designed to accommodate people who came by after the [Crimson Sports Bar and] Grille," he said. "The discussion wasn't if we should do it. It was why we were doing it."

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III-who has frequently conflicted with the final clubs in recent years, critiquing what he calls lax alcohol policies--said he believes it is a step in the right direction.

"I think I can understand. [The A.D. has] had a number of incidents involving non-members," Epps said.

While Grant denied that any specific occurrence prompted the new policy, citing instead a growing sense that the club had become too open, Epps noted an "incident" of last year involving a non-member.

"It must be self-protective on their part," he said.

A.D. undergraduate President John H. Heller '99 said the policy is in the best interest of the club.

Ahn said members of the club are not pleased with the policy change.

"It shocked everyone, but for the club's sake, it had to be done," Ahn said.

Keith L. Cynar '00, a member, said he believed the policy was still pending and that he is against the change.

"I would not be happy about it. It sucks," hesaid.

Contacted last night, Rev. Douglas W. Sears'69, president of the Interclub Council, said hehad not yet heard of the policy shift butexpressed support for it.

"My rallying cry for the last 10 years I'vebeen involved in this is more club, less frat,"Sears said.

"Harvard used to have centers for undergraduatelife. It didn't rely upon the clubs forlocations," he said. "The clubs should be clubs,and Harvard should do something to make the clubsnot the place where action is supposedly happeningwith its undergraduates."

Epps called the decision "a constructive step."He agreed with Sears that the clubs historicallywere less open, and he acknowledged a current lackof focus for undergraduate social life.

"I always felt [final clubs] had lots ofpotential to combine social life and more seriousminded things like the Signet does," he said. Eppsadded that in the past the clubs were noted for"interesting theatricals and library collections."

Grant denied that administrative opposition tothe clubs had been a factor in the decision.According to Sears, such pressure is a given forthe clubs, which are accustomed to it.

"There's always ongoing pressure from Harvardadministration. That you take for granted," hesaid.

Grant said the undergraduate members of theA.D. had been positive about the new policy.

"They're being very cooperative," he said. "Wehad a lot of support and understanding once wediscussed the issues involved. I was pleased bythe response we had from undergraduates there."

He estimated that slightly more than half ofthe club's members were present at Wednesdaynight's meeting.

Meanwhile, the news of the policy change hasencouraged other final clubs to review theirpolicies.

Owl President Andrew D. Duffell '99 said theOwl graduate president called him last night toask about the fallout for their club.

"He wanted to know the sentiment. From themembers I had talked to we were not gung-ho aboutit," Duffell said.

The Owl graduate board is holding theirbiannual meeting next Wednesday to discuss allbasic rules and policies. Duffell said this issuewill also be discussed.

Duffell said he doubts the A.D. change willaffect all of the clubs' policies.

"The Porcellian has been like that for years,"he said.Elizabeth S. Zuckerman contributed to thereporting of this article.