HSA to Publish 'Guide To Life After Harvard'

Book attempts to fill the 'holes in Harvard recruiting'

By Zevi M. Gutfreund, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Every College junior and senior will soon receive a copy of the first edition of The Unofficial Guide to Life After Harvard compliments of Harvard Student Agencies (HSA).

The 186-page book, which provides information about careers, personal finances and places to live, was produced during the past year by a team of seven HSA student employees who gathered information from other books, the Internet and career advisors.

Unofficial Guide manager Peter D. Hawkes '99 said he expects the books to be distributed to all juniors and seniors within two weeks.

"This book offers and alternative to the recruiting and regular grind at [the Office of Career Services (OCS)]," Hawkes said. "It deals with career information, but also practical information to give people a heads-up on what they will face after they graduate."

First-years and sophomores can purchase the book at HSA for $7.95.

The book provides information on various careers including investment banking and law. Dennis C. Lau '01, who conducted research for the book during the summer, said it provides advice Harvard students cannot find in other sources such as the OCS's Guide to Careers.

"We tried to focus on holes in Harvard recruiting," Lau said. "Harvard is traditionally weighted toward investment banking and management consulting, and we included sections on less prevalent careers for Harvard students such as the entertainment business." The book also addresses other issues graduates will face for the first time, including balancing finances and buying a car.

"It was interesting researching the car section because Widener [Library] does not carry general interest books about practical information," said Han-

na L. Stotland '99, who also researchedcareers, places to live and workplace issues. "Ihad to go to the Coop and Barnes & Noble to findout how to buy a car."

"I took off two years between high school andcollege and had to do things like finding my ownhealth insurance," Stotland said. "I wish I had abook like this when I was going through that."

Unlike HSA's The Unofficial Guide to Life atHarvard, the new book does not focusexclusively on life in the Boston area. Hawkessaid the book provides non-location-specificadvice and also contains information on majorcities and different regions of the United Statesand Canada.

Hawkes said HSA is considering distributing thebook nationally in the future.

A team of student researchers at HSAbrainstormed topics for the new book by talking toestablished professionals, recent graduates andstudents about what information would be mosthelpful to seniors preparing for postgraduatelife.

The new book will join the other UnofficialGuide as an annually published bookdistributed every fall, Hawkes said