Goals for 1999

* A list of new year's resolutions for the Harvard administration

With all the millennium hype accompanying the entrance of the new year, it wouldn't be all that surprising if everyone remembered 1999 as nothing more than a lengthy segue into the 21st century.

But as the administrators of our fair College busily prepare this venerable institution for a new era, we would like note that 1999 deserves just as much attention as any other year. And just in case--in the midst of all the hoopla and hype--Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 and Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles forgot to draw up a list of new year's resolutions, the following should get us off on the right foot.

Keep your promises. When the College decided to randomize the upperclass houses completely four years ago, Dean Lewis promised to conduct a full review of randomization and its effects on house life in 1999. Even though students who were around before randomization have since graduated (or are about to graduate), we fully expect the administration to hold to their stated promise. Furthermore, we urge that such a study be thorough and involve not only administrators and house masters, but students as well.

Never make promises you don't intend to keep. The corollary to the resolution above, we gently remind the administration to be less hypocritical. Don't promise to improve student course flexibility and then get rid of AP Science exemptions for the Core. Last year we were promised two-ply toilet paper. Many houses, especially in the Quad, have yet to experience such luxuries.

Share and care. Last year, Radcliffe President Linda S. Wilson adopted the annoying habit of dodging valid questions on the fate of Radcliffe. Consequently, students were kept in the dark during most of the discussions. This is unacceptable.

Whether the issue is Radcliffe, Faculty diversity, or the soon-to-be vacated dean of students position, administrators should be candidly sharing information on issues which directly affect campus life. Further-more, we have yet to see the College show its softer side in addressing our complaints about class sizes and advising.

Lose weight. It seems everyone resolves to become more physically fit every year, and why not? But for Harvard students who are not varsity athletes, the only means towards personal fulfillment is the overly-crowded and almost comical facility known as the Malkin Athletic Center. The athletic facility in the Quad is similarly inadequate. Last year the College tried to appease us by extending the MAC's hours for a few more hours a day. Please. Students have been clamoring for the construction of a new student athletic building for as long as we can remember. Will anyone finally listen before the century is up?

Be hospitable. Last year, a few daring House Masters decided to take the drastic measure of adopting universal keycard access on a trial basis for their houses. And though we were told such a measure would be nearly apocalyptic, we have seen no drastic increases in violent crime or burglaries. In fact, early indications appear positive. Hopefully, by year's end, keycard access will truly be universal.