Walkathon Raises More Than $2K For Unilu Shelter

By Benjamin M. Grossman, Contributing Writer

Not even Sunday's storm clouds and steady rain dampened spirits at the University-Lutheran (Uni-Lu) Homeless Shelter Walkathon.

Over 50 people made the four-mile trek on either Harvard's outdoor and indoor tracks to raise money for the homeless shelter's renovations. The walkathon raised more than $2,000, surpassing coordinators' expectations.

"It was nice to get out, and do something that not only raised money for the homeless but also awareness," said Melissa A. Morris '01, a shelter volunteer and walkathon participant.

The walkathon kicked off a "Community of Choice Campaign" that hopes to raise $25,000 for the renovations.

Harvard President Neil L. Rudenstine recently said that the University would match funds--up to $25,000--raised by students, faculty and staff for the construction.

Faculty and staff can contribute to the shelter directly from their paychecks.

The money will go towards improving the dining area, making the shelter wheelchair accessible, and other essential structural renovations

The Uni-Lu shelter is scheduled to open on Nov. 15 by which time the shelter's directors expect construction to be completed.

Walkathon organizer Richard Cooper '01, said he was impressed by the support of the Cambridge community.

Pizzeria Uno, Bertucci's, Au Bon Pain and the Hi-Rise Bread Company all donated food to sustain the walkers during their four-mile journey.

Winthrop Co-Masters Paul D. Hanson and Cynthia Rosenberger galvanized the large turnout by pledging $5 for every Winthrop resident who walked.

When asked what inspired the donation, Hanson credited Rudenstine's generosity and the imminent holiday season.

The American Repertory Theater, CityStep and the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra all donated prizes for participants who raised the most money and finished the walk first.

A small contingent of the Harvard-Radcliffe Cheerleading Organization came out to motivate and support the walkers over the four miles.

Cooper praised the Harvard community for making the walkathon a success.

"It shows a real enthusiasm on their part for the renovations that will thoroughly modernize the shelter," Cooper wrote in an e-mail message.