PSLM Models Hit the Runway

By Robert K. Silverman, Crimson Staff Writer

Members of the Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) strutted their stuff in Nike, Gap and Harvard gear on the steps of Memorial Church yesterday, while announcers condemned the conditions under which their clothes were made.

During this protest fashion show, while music blared and models preened onstage, members of No Sweat--PSLM's anti-sweatshop campaign--passed out leaflets to the crowd.

"We got the music, got the vibes and got the information out there," said PSLM member Benjamin L. McKean '02, who penned the show's script.

About 50 students gathered for each of the group's two 10-minute shows--held in the break between classes at 12 and 1 p.m.

Paul M. Monteleoni '01 and Brent D. Zettel '01 served as masters of ceremonies.

"Like most clothing manufacturers, Nike and the Gap produce their clothing in so-called sweatshops, where workers--mostly young and female--are subject to horrendous conditions, starvation wages and harsh repercussions if they try to improve their situation," Monteleoni said.

The announcers said that while Nike sneakers can retail for upwards of $200, they cost only $2.35 to manufacture.

"Nike wear was originally produced in the United States, but CEO Phil Knight, who is paid $300 million a year, decided labor costs were too high and moved Nike production to China," Monteleoni said. "When it comes to running away from corporate responsibility, Nike says, 'Just do it!'"

The show also included digs at the Harvard administration. Last semester the University committed to full disclosure of the locations and names of all overseas factories making Harvard apparel.

So far, the University has not released any names.

"We'd love to tell you all about the factories that make [Harvard] clothes, but Harvard doesn't think it's important enough to ask [manufacturers] about," Monteleoni said.

McKean said No Sweat could have picked any of 20 companies to parody but chose Nike and the Gap because of their popularity on campus and the high visibility of their advertising.

"They are more dependent than most on their image," McKean said.

This is not the first time that PSLM has targeted Nike. Earlier this month PLSM hosted a forum with a former Nike worker from Indonesia named Haryanto.

The show's announcers charged that one percent of Nike's annual advertising budget is enough to pay all of the company's workers in Indonesia a living wage.

Audience members said the format of the show was a creative way to pass along information.

"It's a good way to present some interesting facts about Nike that I didn't know before," said Richard McCormack '01.

"Whoever organized this is really creative," said Katherine A. Murphy '01. "Putting Harvard students in the spotlight really drives the point home."

PSLM members said the fashion show marked a break from the group's traditional march-and-rally tactics.

"It's important to show that activism is not stuffy and academic," Monteleoni said. "It's real and can be invigorating."

Activists at other colleges and universities have used the concept of a fashion show before, including Brown University, Yale University, the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Wisconsin.

No Sweat originally scheduled the show for last week but postponed it due to rain. Organizers say they hope to use this format again in the future.

"As long as you get people who don't mind looking stupid, it's a great way to get students' attention, who will hopefully get the administration's attention," McKean said.