One More Touchdown, One More Record

By Maureen B. Shannon, Contributing Writer

Looking back on Chris Menick's Harvard career, you could accurately say that he rushed for more yards than anyone else in a Crimson jersey in a career.

You could also say that he has rushed for the most yards in a season or that he is the only Harvard player to rush for more than 200 yards in more than one game.

But Menick would like it more if you said that he played hard.

This Saturday, in the dying sun of a New Haven November afternoon, a career that has spanned 4 years, over 3,000 yards and 28 touchdowns--one shy of the school record--will come to a close as Menick suits up for the last time.

Even a major injury, a sprained medial collateral ligament (MCL), sustained in last weekend's game against Penn won't keep Menick out of the game.

On Saturday, Menick went down with the injury in the third quarter after a run up the middle for a one-yard gain. He appeared along the sidelines on crutches later in the game.

It was a close call for the Crimson. Menick called the crutches, "only a precaution."

Originally diagnosed as a torn MCL, the injury was thought to be season-ending. Luckily, it was only a sprain and the Crimson breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Consequently, come this weekend, the Crimson's greatest running back of all time will once again rumble and bounce and break tackles and crush would-be defenders as he has done for the past four seasons.

But Menick's ultimate goal has always been to play hard.

"The only thing that matters when you play is personal pride and playing as hard as you possibly can," Menick said.

He combines exceptional balance and hard-nosed strength. He gains the tough, bone-crushing yards up the middle, powering his way through tacklers with his low center of gravity.

For a man with so many rushing talents, his philosophy is simple.

"I just try and run as hard as I can," Menick said. "I do whatever is the best way to gain yards. I always had good balance, even when I was a little kid, and my sister and I would fight with each other."

From sibling battles to Ivy League showdowns, Menick, a Port Chester, N.Y., native, has demonstrated his ability to step up and make the big plays. Along the way, the records have tumbled.

He holds the Harvard record for career rushing yards--a cool even 3330 yards and counting. He is averaging a whooping 4.99 yards per carry this year, and with 969 yards this season, he is on the brink of breaking the elusive 1,000-yard mark. A workhorse, Menick also captured the record for most carries in a single game against Princeton two years ago with 42.

He enters the Yale one shy of the Harvard career touchdown record. In 1997, on the first carry of the Yale game, Menick earned Harvard's single-season rushing record. Yale coach Jack Siedlecki called Menick after the game, "simply the best back in our League."

The motivation has been simple.

"The real thing that motivates me and drives me is the desire to be the best possible football player I can be and to never let my teammates down," Menick said, reflecting on his success.

However, 1999 has been in many ways a heartbreaking season for the

Crimson. Its four losses have come at a combined total of 15 points. Each

loss has come amidst an opponent's fourth-quarter comeback.

This past weekend, Harvard's (5-4, 3-3 Ivy) hopes for the share of the Ivy title were dashed when Penn (5-4, 4-2 Ivy) squeaked out a 21-17 victory. With 1:17 left in regulation, Penn quarterback Gavin Hoffman connected with wide receiver Brandon Carson for a 50-yard touchdown pass.

Reflecting on the losses, Menick said, "we showed a lot of heart and character."

The Penn game was particularly heartbreaking--it was the last game that Menick, along with the other seniors on the team, will play in Harvard Stadium.

As the stage Menick has accomplished so much on, the Stadium holds special meaning for the tailback.

"Considering it's our last game in Harvard Stadium, I feel kind of sentimental," Menick said after the game. "We wanted to end it right."

Many comparisons have been drawn between this year's squad and the 1997 Ivy title team. Despite the difference in the results, Menick sees similarities on the team.

"There's been a similar hunger on this team," he said, "we are really focused on winning and playing really hard all year."

Two years ago, the last time that the Crimson plowed into New Haven, they were on the brink of an Ivy title. Menick was poised to break the school single-season rushing record. The Crimson walked off with a stunning 17-7 victory and the Ivy title; Menick became the new rushing leader.

However, the 1999 season has made for a different scenario--going into the last game of the season, it is Yale who is looking to walk off with the Ivy championship. Deadlocked at the top with Brown at 5-1, Yale is hoping for a Bear loss and a Bulldog win to capture the Ivy title outright. Harvard could play the role of the spoiler, however such circumstances do not play into Menick's motivations.

"What place we're in, who's playing who--I have to be honest, none of those things effect the way you play," he said.

"It doesn't matter if you're 10-0 or 0-10. Every single game is just as important as the next, even if it doesn't mean winning a championship. Because that game is a test of your character and how much pride you have in yourself and your desire to win and be the best that you can possible be."

But that is not to say that Menick isn't pumped for this weekend.

They have a very balanced offense and balanced attack," Menick said. " I can't wait to play Yale. They're real good this year, and I love playing against really good teams. I love the challenge. I am really excited."

Parity might be the only way to describe this year Ivy's season--even last weekend's games pitting top seeds Brown and Yale against both 1-4

Dartmouth and Princeton saw two closely contested games. Brown edged

Dartmouth by just a touchdown; Yale escaped a Princeton upset, winning 23-21.

But parity is not an adjective that describes Menick's season, or for that matter, his career.

Indeed, by putting 20 pounds onto his frame over the off-season, Menick has added potency to his inside running. Hitting the weight room "made my inside running more effective, being able to knock people over."

However, Chris is quick to point out the contributions of his teammates.

"The offensive line has been opening up holes all year for me--a great group of guys," he said. "And we have a really good group of receivers this year."

And even though he has been the driving force behind Harvard's potent offense, which scored the most points ever in a single game in the Ivy League against Dartmouth this year and boasts the best rushing offense in the league, Menick is firm believer that defense is the key to victory.

"That's the name of the game--defense wins games," he said.

His off-field relationships with his teammates are equally strong.

"My teammates are the most important people to me," he said. "They are my best friends; they're greatest guys. That has made this experience most worthwhile--playing with all those guys. And on top of all that, they are all good football players too."

Family is equally important to Menick. At the Dartmouth game this year, Menick was given the game ball. He promptly passed it onto his father.

"He pretty much taught me how to run with the ball," the younger Menick said. "I owe so much to him. My father and mother have been everything to me.

"Never giving up, the desire to be the best you can possible be, no matter what--that I learned from my father and mother. They raised my sister and I that way. My father came to every single one of my games, trying to help make me better. My father always brought me back to earth."

But his MCL injury brought him back to earth last weekend. It called into question this coming weekend. It would have threatened what should be the crowning jewel on a sparkling career.

Even with its star rusher back, Harvard still faces a tough adversary--the aggressive Yale squad, boasting the No. 1 defense in the Ivy.

Looking back on his academic and athletic career at Harvard, Menick gets a little sentimental.

"I walked into Harvard as a naive, young kid who didn't really appreciate how much relationships mean," he said. "On the field and in school I gained an appreciation for hard work and discipline, but also being close with people who care about you. It's been a really good experience in all aspects and I feel like I've really matured a lot."

So now going into what will be the final game of his amazing career, a mature Menick will also have to hope that his hunger and motivation has been absorbed by his teammates.

In his own words, he takes "pride in getting that extra yard."

Fittingly, Menick nearly ended his career on a play in which he sacrificed everything for a single extra yard.

Fortunately, it wasn't the last time he has that opportunity.