Kozol, Longtime Boston Dentist, Dies at 91

By Alex B. Ginsberg, Contributing Writer

Newton resident and longtime community dentist Solomon M. Kozol '36 died Monday at Needham Hospital of heart failure. He was 91.

Kozol, who was also a father, grandfather and WWII veteran was buried Wednesday in Baker Street Cemetery in West Roxbury.

After graduating from Harvard College, Kozol attended graduate school at McGill University in Montreal where he studied oral surgery.

At the beginning of World War II, Kozol left his practice in Boston to serve in the Marine Corps as a dental surgeon.

Kozol was stationed in the South Pacific on the front lines, where he performed oral surgery on injured soldiers. His service included the invasions of Guadalcanal and Saipan.

Kozol received a Purple Heart after being injured, and was awarded a Silver Star for his bravery in combat.

After Kozol returned home, he became the chief of dental medicine at Jewish Memorial Hospital in Boston, and during his career spent more than 50 years practicing dental medicine in the area.

"He was very outgoing and had tons of friends," said Kozol's daughter Linda Hiller. "He was beloved by all nieces, nephews and grandchildren."

Hiller added that her father's hobbies included golf and swimming.

His son, Roger Kozol '68, described Kozol as "everyone's favorite uncle" and spoke of the many stories he would tell his grandchildren.

"He had a great sense of humor and was a great raconteur," Roger Kozol said.

Family and friends that gathered at the Hiller household in Newton Wednesday night said the atmosphere there was lighthearted.

"The sense of loss is mitigated by the knowledge that he is at peace," Roger Kozol said.

In addition to his two children, Kozol is survived by his wife, Pauline, a brother, Harry L. Kozol of Weston, and two grandchildren.