Council OKs Steaming Bagel on Square Roof

By Edward B. Colby, Crimson Staff Writer

A giant steaming bagel will be erected over the new Finagle-a-Bagel franchise in Harvard Square, after the City Council gave its approval during an uncontroversial meeting last night.

Approval for the sign, a 40-inch circular advertisement that will overhang the JFK Street sidewalk, had already been granted by the Historical Commission.

This motion passed without argument, as did most of the motions in the particularly good-natured meeting, the third-to-last for longtime council members Mayor Francis H. Duehay '55 and Councillor Sheila Doyle Russell.

One of the few debates among council members occurred when Councillor Henrietta S. Davis asked that the council hold a hearing for the Immigrant Voting Rights Campaign during next Monday's council meeting.

The campaign seeks to gain the right for immigrants who are not citizens--but who are often parents of children in Cambridge schools--to vote in School Committee elections.

Davis said that by holding a hearing in front of the City Council, the campaign could jump-start the legislative process for enacting a law.

The successful lobbying of the city's Living Wage Campaign, which got the council to institute a $10 living wage for all Cambridge government employees, began with a similar presentation.

Councillor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 said he did not think such a hearing would be useful, however, as only two council meetings--on Dec. 13 and Dec. 20--remain in the current term.

"I daresay the more logical approach is for the new council to bring it up," Reeves said.