Wrestling Takes 13th in Vegas Tourney

By Jodie L. Pearl, Crimson Staff Writer

After two strong November performances, the Harvard wrestling team traveled to Las Vegas this past weekend for the Cliff Keen Invitational, looking to continue its success at what is possibly its toughest tournament of the season.

Facing some of the nation's top wrestlers--including ten teams ranked in the top 25 and many of last year's NCAA contenders--the Crimson finished in the middle of the pack at thirteenth. Though unable to match last year's ninth place performance, the weekend was highlighted by several individual performances that landed three Harvard wrestlers a second, third, and seventh place finish.

With a total of 170 points, Oklahoma State, ranked No. 6, won the prestigious tournament. It captured the title from last year's champ, No. 5 Illinois who took second with 142 points. No. 3 Minnesota placed third with 123 points.

Other top-ranked programs in attendance included Michigan, Boise State, Arizona State, Wisconsin, Bakersfield, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh.

After claiming first in the East Stroudsburg tournament, senior co-captain Joey Killar continued his winning ways at 165-pounds. He grappled to the finals before falling 7-2 to Steve Blackford of Arizona State for a second place finish. A formidable opponent, Blackford is an All-American who took fourth at last year's NCAA Championship.

Along with Killar, co-captain Ed Mosley had a terrific weekend at 174-pounds. He secured a third place spot with a 5-3 victory over Bakersfield's Andy Varner. After taking first at both the Ivy Classic and East Stroudsburg, Mosley's strong performance this past weekend against a higher caliber of competition confirmed his place among the upper echelon of his weight class.

At heavyweight, sophomore Dawid Rechul, who has really come into his own this year, had another impressive tournament to add to the pair of fourth place finishes he has already earned. Rechul's decisive 6-2 defeat of Boe Rushton of Boise State guaranteed him the seventh place spot. Rechul, who came close to defeating Penn's All American Bandele Adenyi-Bada at the Ivy Classic, continued to prove this weekend that he can contend with the nation's best.

Also representing the Crimson was sophomore Brandon Rhoades competing at 125-pounds, junior Matt Picarsic at 133-pounds, freshman Nick Picarsic at 141-pounds, senior Nate Ackerman at 149-pounds, senior Tom Kiler at 157-pounds, and freshman Reggie Lee who wrestled at 184-pounds.

Unfortunately, one of the Crimson's star wrestlers, junior Brad Soltis, had to withdraw from the 197 pound weight class because of injury.

Soltis, an NCAA qualifier last season, also missed the Ivy Classic due to injury but came back with a solid third place showing at East Stroudsburg.

Although overall the team did not do as well as it had hoped, it still returned to Cambridge with several top finishes and experience against the country's best wrestlers. Such experience will prove invaluable as the team enters the dual meet season and sets its sights on the EIWA and NCAA championships.

The Crimson now has a few weeks off before competing in another tournament. The wrestlers hit the mats again Dec. 29-30 in Chicago at the Midlands National Tournament held at Northwestern. A week later, on Jan. 7, it will then round out the tournament season at the Virginia Duals.