Forty Percent of Students in Computer-Related Pain

By Sasha A. Haines-stiles, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Almost half of the student body suffers from some sort of computer-induced pain, according to a recent College survey on computer usage.

The survey, conducted by Harvard Arts and Sciences Computer Services (HASCS) in December, polled 1,893 students in dining halls on a variety of aspects related to computer use.

Survey questions about computer-induced pain--which were supplied by University Health Services--found that about 40 percent of students have experienced pain as a result of working on the computer, up from about 35 percent last year.

Information was also collected on student computer use ranging from type of operating system to e-mail program preferences.

Of the students questioned, 75 percent said they use a computer with Windows.

Only 20 percent own a Mac, down slightly from last year, said Franklin M. Steen, director of Faculty of Arts and Sciences computer services.

Despite the prevalence of PCs on campus, there remains a contingent of stead-fast Mac devotees.

And the percentage of students who use Macs is high compared to other universities, according to Steen.

"I have a Mac because it's more user-friendly than a PC, and I'm going to try to hold onto it for as long as possible," said Molly H. Donohue '99.

The survey also reported that about 88.5 percent of respondents use Pine as their e-mail system of choice.

About 51 percent use Eudora, 8.8 percent use Netscape mail and 5.3 percent use Microsoft Out-look Express.

Laptop ownership is on the rise, continuing a trend noted in last year's survey.

Nearly 45 percent of respondents said they own a laptop, and 55.1 percent own a desktop.

Steen noted that a greater percentage of women polled own laptops than male respondents.

First-years and seniors, who generally own newer computers, were also more likely to own laptops.

Michelangelo V.D'Agostion '02 said his Dell laptop suits his needs.

"It's more flexible, if I ever need to take it somewhere," he said. "All my friends have laptops."

Survey data also shows that 94 percent of seniors, 90 percent of juniors, eighty percent of sophomores and 26 percent of first-years use computer labs.

Most first-year dorms do not have computer labs, while all Houses do, which helps explain the low percentage of lab use among first-year students, Steen said.

About 95 percent of survey respondents said they own a computer they use on campus.

More comprehensive results will be posted on the HASCS Web page at www.fas. harvard.edu/computing.