Final Clubs Not the Only Harvard Social Option

Letters

To the editors:

Who does Ely J. Kahn think he is to judge the social aptitude of other students at Harvard based on their involvement with final clubs (Letters, Feb. 17)? Who is he to call others socially-challenged when he is so proud to be part of an organization which is so socially paralyzed that it cannot let women through the door unless they enter as sex objects in tight black pants? Why is it that the final clubs do not let other men join the fun? Are you all afraid of the competition? Worried that the ladies come to your clubs because, at three in the morning, you're the only game in town? How can Kahn consider others to lack the social skills common to the majority of our nation's college students, when the final clubs can be described as sexist, racist, elitist, classist and homophobic?

In deference to all other members of final clubs, I assume that you do not all feel the same way as Kahn. Rest assured that, while I am not a member of a final club (I was punched my sophomore year, and I decided to drop out after the first event), I do have a social life. I attend parties, I go to movies, I spend time in Boston, and yes, I have even visited final clubs. Let me say that my time in the final clubs at which I partied was enjoyable. The Garden Party and the Luau are two of the best social events on campus. Furthermore, the clubs do provide a great late-night alternative. In this respect, the role of the final clubs will be missed.

These merits, however, do not warrant Kahn's arrogant and close-minded attitude. Perhaps he fails to realize that extra-curricular activities, such as athletic teams, theater groups or political organizations provide students with social outlets that do not require monetary initiation dues. Perhaps he fails to realize that just because we are not all like him, we can still have fun. Mr. Kahn, those who support the closing of final clubs do lament the end of a very useful and entertaining social institution. However, they rejoice in finally silencing the members of those clubs, which, in your emotional attack of those less fortunate than yourself, you so aptly represented. TERENCE S. DOUGHERTY '00   FEB. 17, 1999