behind closed doors

By V. C. Hallett

SEXILE, A PRACTICE UNIQUE TO THE college-age set, is the natural result of out-of-control hormones unleashed in N-1 bedrooms. Strategies to prevent the interruption of an intimate moment include blocking the door with a bed, recreating hotel atmosphere with "Do not disturb" signs and draping key articles of clothing across the bedroom door.

Heat-of-the-moment indicators relay nuanced messages. "We're big on socks and ties on doorknobs," reveals Greg A. Feldman '99. "Both are symbols of male potency." Constantine M. Caramanis '99 recalls that his first-year roommate would signal to him with the type music he played. "When there was jazz, especially female vocalists, I would steer clear of the room," Caramanis explains.

Not everyone warns their roommates. Nowadays, for example, Caramanis and his roommate Nikhil Wagle '99 just say no to sexiling. "We don't have to because we have two bunks," Wagle says. Others claim there are unspoken rules of communal living. "Usually if the door is shut, people know not to come in," says Gina M. Foster '00.

Better safe than sorry? Privacy-mongers say yes. The more trusting hope roommate telepathy will keep them behind closed doors.