Memorial Hall Tower Is Proof Of Misguided Priorities

Letters

To the editors:

I am writing in response to the University's recent decision to restore the tower atop Memorial Hall.

The restoration project and the hefty $4 million price tag present us with some difficult issues. Mainly, can we be absolutely certain that the money is not needed elsewhere? It may be understandable that Harvard would like to celebrate its successful five-year capital campaign, and perhaps the reconstruction of the tower would be a powerful symbol of the campaign's success.

Nevertheless, the restoration will only be a symbol. There seem to be dozens of issues on campus that need attention, not to mention financial support. I question the fundraising priorities of the University. We must remember that the heart of Harvard is not in the pomp of its buildings, but rather in the vibrant campus community that inhabits its hallowed halls. Thus, if we are to truly celebrate the success of our University's fundraising campaign, the best possible investments would be made in the spirit of improving life for the students, the faculty, and the staff. A student union, an improved fitness facility and increased wages for Harvard workers are only three of the current issues demanding attention. Furthermore, these options would directly and unequivocally improve life for Harvard citizens.

It is frivolous for the administration and the proponents of the restoration to claim that the $4 million is spare money. There are plenty of demands to be met; these demands must be vocalized and the administration must be willing to listen. An aesthetic enhancement, perhaps, but the reconstruction of the Memorial Hall tower serves only to distort the concerns of Harvard University. MASAFUMI J. HOSHINO '02   Feb. 17, 1999