Committee to Pick New Adams Master

HARVARD BRIEFS

By Adam A. Sofen

Adams House has announced a committee to help select a new master that will convene for the first time this week.

The panel, composed of House residents and affiliates and selected by Senior Tutor David B. Fithian, will interview candidates for the post and make recommendations to Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68.

"We're acting as an advisory committee," said Jamie Ciocco '94, a resident tutor and committee member. "We're not really here to make the decision, we're just here to make sure all the different groups are heard--the senior common room, the students, the tutors."

Lewis will make the final decision, with the approval of President Neil L. Rudenstine and Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles. Besides Fithian, the panel includes four undergraduates, two resident tutors and two professors affiliated with the House. Fithian said he selected students for the panel by talking to various House residents, in an effort to represent "as many constituencies as possible."

Undergraduates on the committee said they welcome the chance to help choose a master.

"The new master should be pretty young, someone who will be in the House for a long time..someone who's an open person, a caring person," said Michael T. McKnight '00, who is on the committee.