AFFIRMED

TAE-BO TRIMS YOU SLIM IN STYLE

By Alicia A. Carrasquillo

Adios, pilates. Gone are the slow, structured "I doubt I've worked off the calories in a stick of Carefree gum" workouts emphasizing a yoga-based spirituality, and in their place is the latest "it" exercise. Martial artist Billy Blanks created Tae-Bo, the fast-paced, super-sweaty stepchild of kickboxing. Popularized by a sleek advertising campaign heavy on late-night infomercials, and garnering the support of Carmen Electra and Sinbad, Tae-Bo now constitutes a veritable alterna-robics empire. Blanks himself is on the way to superstardom, having appeared on a recent episode of "ER" in which he schooled Lucy (Kellie Martin, Yale student and real-life Tae-Bo devotee) in a private, early-morning sweat-fest. The sale of his tapes, bolstered by an appearance on Oprah, has grossed an astonishing $60 million dollars since August. The latest Tae-Bo disciples are the Harvard's women's varsity volleyball team, who use Blanks' Tae-Bo to stay in shape in the off-season and add variety to their workouts. Team member Sarah E. Mattson '01 advises practicing Tae-Bo in a group, admitting, "It definitely made me feel less silly kicking and punching the air." So anyone headed for Cancun take note. After all, spring break is only 12,240 minutes away.