Author Criticizes 'Contradictions' Of Abortion-Opponent Extremists

By Edward B. Colby, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Bunting Fellow Carol A. Mason discussed the contradictions posed by abortion opponents who kill for their cause during a Bunting Institute presentation yesterday afternoon.

Speaking to an audience of more than 100, Mason presented material from her forthcoming book, Killing for Life, which analyzes the beliefs and tactics of anti-abortion extremists.

The book was developed part of her ongoing year-long fellowship at the Bunting.

"There are meanings of 'life' which present pro-lifers with a loophole so killing for life is not a contradiction," Mason said in her speech, titled "Killing for Life: Questioning Pro-Life Politics."

"Pro-lifers are notoriously known for their literal interpretations of the Bible and the Constitution," but they use a very elastic definition of 'life,' she said.

Mason worked for two years at Planned Parenthood of New York City before coming to the Bunting as the 1998-99 Miller Fellow.

She has won several awards for her teaching and research.

Mason spoke about the historical context of anti-abortion extremism and her impetus for confronting the issue in her research.

Mason said the extremist anti-abortion movement in the U.S. often shares other fringe beliefs including white supremacy and apocalyptic millenialism.

She said this creates a belief system where all people are equal under the eyes of God at birth, but not entitled to social and political equality in later life.

"[The] unborn is racialized as white and Christian," she said, adding that extremists are often anti-Semitic and believe that they are superior to blacks.

Mason said that since some extremists believe that aborted fetuses are Christian, legalized abortion leads them to wage an "apocalyptic war" against what they see as the forces of the anti-Christ--"they see themselves and their culture as victims" of abortion.

"We are the unborn," Mason said, mimicking an opponent of abortion rights. "And like the unborn, we are under siege."

She noted that without an historical context, the recent surge of extremist attacks on abortion clinics across the country seems to be an aberration, when in fact the violence of the 1990s is part of a "historical continuum of rightwing thought."

As part of this continuum, Mason explained how in 1975 the Human Life Review--a well-known anti-abortion publication--admitted there was a difference between abortion and murder.

But, she said, in the 1990s that distinction has essentially been forgotten by many extremists.

Mason said she was driven to devote herself to this topic in response to the abortion clinic shooting carried out by John Salvi in Brookline in 1994.

"I did some serious soul-searching about my motivation for writing on this topic...and I decided that I was serious about writing about this work," she said.

Mason concluded her speech by saying that through this book, she has begun to actively oppose "pro-life politics."

An extensive question and answer session followed the 45-minute speech.

"I think your analysis is right on," said Janet Gallagher, who is on a fellowship at the Divinity School.

"I thought it was so thought-provoking," said Nancy L. Nortenman. She said that Mason's speech had given her "fuel" for her to take her own stand on the topic.

"It's a fascinating topic," Nortenman added.

One audience member said the reason it is difficult to talk about "African-American pro-lifers" is because race plays a factor as well.

"The debate has been just so narrow," she said.

Audience member Jill Reynolds asked if the use of the term "pro-life" in Mason's speech empowered the antiabortion rights forces she discussed.

Mason wryly replied that she doesn't think that her work is going to empower the "pro-life" movement.

One audience member openly criticized Mason for excessively denouncing the anti-abortion movement.

In an interview after the event, Mason said she felt her view was not lopsided.

"I think there a lot of legitimate concerns being raised by right-wing forces and I think we should confront them or listen to them," Mason said.

Mason will cover many of the same topics at a lunch discussion at 12:30 today in the Bunting Common Room.

Mason is the 1998-99 Miller Fellow at the Bunting.

The Bunting Institute is an international, multidisciplinary center for advanced study for women.

Each year, 35 to 40 scholars, writers, artists, scientists and activists take time off from their home institutions to do research.

Mason's speech was part of the 1998-99 Colloquia Series at the Institute.