concentration CASH-IN

Each year, hundreds of freshmen choose a concentration after hours of deliberating required courses, interests, quality of advising, whatever. Bad idea. Happiness means milking the Harvard experience: Pick a concentration that spends to make you

By Y. Ju

Linguistics concentrators dine together three times a year, once each semester and in December. Those taking phonology courses are permitted to use specialized software at the department's computer lab.

Students of Philosophy can debate the meaning of meaning at a party at the beginning of each term. A speaker series--around two speakers a month--is open to undergraduates. Special advising for people interested in grad school attempts to expel the pesky issue of what one can do with a philosophy degree.

Social Studies throws two annual parties, one for all concentrators and one for seniors. Additional informal receptions pepper the departmental calendar.

Women's Studies begins the year with tea, and follows up with lecture series lunches and special speakers throughout the year. The department throws two parties for seniors--one for March graduates, one for the others.

Students of Afro-American Studies can stuff themselves silly at a dinner each semester, and as a senior, make merry at the graduation party. Perks include a mentor program--help for the newcomers, resume filler for the upperclass--and invitations to various colloquia and events sponsored by the department.

The Chemistry department barbecues weekly over the summer, when many concentrators endure the humidity to conduct research. Otherwise students must organize their own events, a task made a little easier by the concentrators' e-mail network. The chemistry library in Converse cheers any orgo problem set session with dark wood Harvardian charm.

The Folklore & Mythology department kicks off each academic year with tea and ends the year with a senior dinner. The dozen concentrators have access to the F&M library and can take a class that includes a dance workshop.

Government welcomes its new students with a huge reception. After that, concentrators can attend monthly fireside chats with Faculty over lunch. Thesis writers get a party upon completion, but otherwise, students are on their own.

English concentrators frolic at the annual holiday party and thesis writers mingle at an additional champagne reception. The department offers its undergraduates Child Library, informational meetings (like how to apply to grad school), and a faculty-student liaison.

Members of Earth and Planetary Sciences gather for tea every day at 3 and for weekly seminars. Despite the department's Lilliputian size--faculty outnumber the students--it has its own library (Kummel). The syllabus for EPS 151 boasts an excursion to Hawaii. Oh, the jealousy.

A welcome luncheon at the Faculty Club and a graduation luncheon bookend the Physics experience. Concentrators get out at least twice a year for departmental picnics. A strong society of physics students and special study nights for women run by grad students instill loyalty.