In Search of a Balanced Pudding Story

Letters

To the editors:

In response to your feature story, "Pudding, Public Debate Exclusion of Women," (News, Feb. 22), I am writing as a disappointed reader. I had hoped that this article would finally give an unbiased report of the arguments in this debate, and I was sad to see it fail.

Note the second sentence which states, "women have been barred from performing in the Pudding since its inception 151 years ago." How could women be "barred" when 151 years ago there were no women at Harvard? How could you, the editors, let this charged verb be used? Already in the second sentence the article is misleading the reader. In another example, Jim Augustine is quoted as saying, "There were things being said like, 'Women are not as funny as men.'" Whom is he quoting? I would think that the Crimson need not stoop to reporting hearsay.

Yes I am a member of the Hasty Pudding The-articles, but I am not asking for you to publish an article in support of the Pudding. As someone caught in the middle of this debate, I would like to see, for my own edification, an unbiased report on the issue. I am disappointed that The Har-Crimson cannot provide one. GEOFFREY R. OXNARD '99   Feb. 22, 1999