M. Tennis, Blake Keep Rankings

A non-spectacular weekend doesn't always spoil a great team's season, especially that of the nationally-ranked Harvard men's tennis team.

Despite a fifth-place finish at the Blue-Gray National Collegiate Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala., this past weekend, the Crimson (11-3) held on to its No. 16 ranking in the ITA/Rolex national team rankings.

And, although he also lost over the weekend, Harvard ace James Blake kept his No. 1 singles ranking in the country.

Blake, a sophomore, and co-captain Kunj Majmudar slipped in the national doubles ranking from No. 2 to No. 3.

Majmudar advanced to No.38 in singles, up nine spots from his previous No.47 ranking.

Co-captain Mike Passarella and sophomore Scott Clark are ranked No.49 in doubles.

The Crimson head for the warmer climate of Santa Barbara, Calif., this weekend to take part in the Gaucho Tennis Classic, hosted by the University of California-Santa Barbara. The Crimson is seeded second behind No. 5 SMU.

Harvard will face the winner of Boise State and San Diego Friday afternoon.

The ITA/Rolex National Rankings are determined by a computer point system and released every two weeks from February through the NCAA tournament in May.

The next national rankings will be released on April 9. WILLIAM P. BOHLEN