W. Hockey Starts Title Chase vs. Brown

No. 1 Crimson Seeks Revenge for Only Blemish on 31-1 Record

By Bryan Lee, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Of all the teams in the American Women's College Hockey Association final four, No. 4 seed Brown arguably has the best shot to beat No. 1 seed Harvard.

After all, on Nov. 15, the Bears (20-5-4, 19-4-3 ECAC) beat the Crimson (31-1-0, 24-1-1) 4-2 in Providence. That loss remains the only smudge on Harvard's record.

But since that Sunday, the Crimson has run off 28 straight wins, including a 6-2 victory over the Bears at Bright Hockey Center on Feb. 13. Harvard plays Brown for the third time this season in the semifinals of the AWCHA National Championship tonight at 6 p.m. Boston time. WHRB will broadcast the game, as well as Harvard's game on Saturday, on 95.3 FM and on the Internet at www.broadcast.com.

Brown has a lot going for it. Its goalie, junior Ali Brewer, is second in the nation to Minnesota's Erica Killewald in goals against average at 1.19 and in save percentage at .944. Brewer was also one of the finalists for the Kazmaier Award, given to the best women's hockey player in the country, along with Harvard co-captain A.J. Mleczko and UNH senior defenseman Nicki Luongo.

Brown's other star player, sophomore defenseman Tara Mounsey, played with Mleczko and Harvard freshman defenseman Angela Ruggiero last year for the U.S. Olympic Team and was named to the ECAC First Team. Thanks in large part to Brewer and Mounsey, the Bears have the best scoring defense in the nation, allowing only 1.21 goals per contest.

But no matter how Brown tries to pump itself up and no matter how much praise Harvard heaps on it, the top-seeded Crimson is the clear favorite to win not only the semifinals tonight but also the national championship tomorrow at Minnesota's Mariucci Arena.

"Even though Brown's the only team that's beaten us this year, when we're playing well and passing, we shouldn't have any problem," Mleczko said. "There are three other great teams, but we've proven that we have a lot of depth and stamina."

Harvard appears to have exorcised any demons that arose after its loss to Brown in the fourth game of the season. Last week's win over No. 2 seed UNH (22-6-5, 19-4-3) was its closest game since the loss, but Harvard may be at its most confident.

"I think it helped us because it showed we can pull together as a team when things aren't going exactly as planned," Ruggiero said. "It's really been a testament to our team that we've won four games [and lost none] in overtime."

Brown may be the only team with a defense strong enough to withstand Harvard's offensive juggernaut.

"I don't know if I can teach the team all of Mounsey's strategies, but she is strong on the puck, doesn't let up on defense and is very physical," Ruggiero said. "Hopefully on offense, we can pull one of their players away."

One of Brown's defensive strengths is preventing the second chance. In Harvard's 5-4 overtime win in the ECAC championship game last Sunday, Mleczko's game-winner came on a third try against UNH junior netminder Alicia Roberts.

"They're really strong in front of the net and force you to shoot from the outside," said Ruggiero, one of Harvard's four ECAC First Teamers. "They clear rebounds right away, or Brewer jumps right on them."

Harvard players are quick to praise Brewer, who Mleczko said is "phenomenal when she's on."

But the Crimson leads the nation in scoring average at 6.47 goals per game, and every skater on the Harvard power-play unit has outscored Brown's team leader this season.

Mleczko leads the way as a tablesetter and capable goal scorer. She was named MVP of the ECAC and Beanpot tournaments in addition to the Ivy League and ECAC this season. Her 109 points are seven points off the Division I single-season men's and women's record set by Tony Hrkac when he led North Dakota to the men's national championship in 1986-87.

Mleczko's 73 assists are 23 more than her nearest competitor-sophomore winger Tammy Shewchuk. She is second in goals only to Shewchuk and has played excellent defense as well.

Mleczko herself could make any team potent offensively, but her linemates, Shewchuk and freshman winger Jen Botterill, have also had dominating years. The Harvard first line has been a veritable Cerberus. Shewchuk's 50 goals and 50 assists are good for the second best point total in the country, and Botterill, the top freshman scorer in the nation and Rookie of the Year in the ECAC and Ivy League, is third overall with 33 goals and 47 assists.

Ruggiero is not only the highest-scoring defenseman in the nation but also the sixth-highest overall scorer with 20 goals and 38 assists. Oft-overlooked sophomore winger Angie Francisco is 10th in the nation with 12 goals and 34 assists.

Harvard's strategy against Brewer is to use its arsenal to get off to a quick start and shake her confidence.

"The first time we played them, she was the difference," Mleczko said. "We need to get on her early."

In Harvard's 6-2 win against Brown, the Crimson did get to Brewer, who let in six goals for only the second time all season. She appeared rattled as Harvard piled on five third-period goals to break open what had been a 1-1 contest.

"I think it definitely shook her, because she's not used to that many goals being scored on her," Ruggiero said.

Nevertheless, Harvard junior goalie Crystal Springer had nothing but praise for her Brown counterpart.

"She works well with her team, and she keeps them in every game," Springer said. "She's been leading the league in stats for the two years I've been in it, and there's nothing bad you can say about her."

The Crimson has not gotten this far based solely on offense, however. Springer has a 20-1-0 record and is third in the country in goals against at 1.54 goals per game. She has a .927 save average, good for fourth in the nation, and the team's scoring defense is fourth at 1.69 goals per game.

And in stark contrast to Harvard, Brown is paced by junior forward Jordan Jiskra, who is tied for 27th nationally in scoring with 16 goals and 20 assists. Mounsey, the Bears' second-leading scorer, is third amongst all defensemen with 12 goals and 23 assists.

"I would say one of their strengths offensively is that you don't know who their big shooters are," Springer said. "When a team plays us, they'll gear up for our first line, but you have to stay so focused on Brown's lineup because they know they all need to produce in order for them to be successful."

Springer, who missed time this season with a collarbone injury, rounded back into form last weekend at Providence, where she was named to the All-ECAC Tournament team.

"I definitely hit a midseason groove that was disrupted," she said. "This past weekend is the best I've played since I've been back, and that's promising. I hope the team can build on that, too."

Harvard's defense has been good enough to win, but three of its last seven games have gone to overtime, and the Crimson gave up three, four and four goals in those three games.

"We're going to have to tighten up defensively as well as attack them offensively," Mleczko said.

If the teams' styles contrast-Brown is a defensive team and Harvard is an offensive one-their special teams success does not.

Harvard has the best penalty kill in the ECAC at 93.4 percent. The Crimson mad-down unit has given up 10 goals this season, but has scored nine shorthanded goals.

Brown has the conference's second best kill, 90.8 percent, and has given up only four more goals than it has scored while playing with the disadvantage.

Harvard has the second-best power play in the ECAC, scoring 45 goals in 137 attempts, a 32.8 percent success rate.Brown is third in the conference at 23.6 percent.

The two teams are also clearly the pride of theIvy League. Mleczko, Ruggiero, Shewchuk,Botterill, Mounsey and Brewer make up the entireIvy First Team. Additionally, Harvard's KateyStone was named ECAC Coach of the Year.

Brown's most recent game was a 3-0 loss toDartmouth in the ECAC Quarterfinals on Mar. 12,but Mounsey was playing in the Women's HockeyWorld Championships in Finland that weekend. Itwas the only loss for the Bears since they lostback-to-back games Feb. 13--the second gameagainst Harvard--and 14.

Harvard is even hotter, however, and if it winsas expected, it will face the winner of the No. 2seed UNH-No. 3 seed Minnesota (27-3-3) gametomorrow at 8 p.m. Boston time. The Crimson hasbeaten UNH, the winner of last year's inauguralAWCHA National Championship, three times thisseason and topped the Gophers in the first game ofthe year at Minnesota, 3-1.

"We've seen UNH three times this year, so itwould be more interesting to see Minnesota,"Mleczko said. "It's at Minnesota, so there wouldbe a lot more fans. As far as confidence goes,we've proven we can beat both teams."

Springer said she had no preference, butRuggiero hinted that she would rather playMinnesota, although for different reasons.

"It doesn't matter, but I was talking to Angie[a Minnesota native], and we said 10 years ago,the men's team beat Minnesota at Minnesota[actually at St. Paul Civic Center] for thenational championship," she said. "We think thatwould be kind of cool to do the same thing 10years later."

No matter what, Brown and possibly theUNH-Minnesota winner will have to tangle with aCrimson team that, if the statistics are correct,is the most talented and deepest in the country.Based on its recent close wins, Harvard alsoappears to have the knack to pull out the victory.

Maybe Ruggiero puts it best when summing upwhom she would rather play if Harvard makes thefinals.

"Either way, bring it on."

The Sports Cube PredictsBryan Lee, Sports EditorHarvard  4Brown  1Daniel G. Habib, Sports EditorHarvard  3Brown  2Caitlin E. Anderson, Executive EditorHarvard  5Columbia  2Aaron R. Cohen, Magazine EditorHarvard  5Brown  3Scott A. Penner, Online EditorHarvard  6Brown  2

"Either way, bring it on."