Mather Assault Suspect Arrested

By Marc J. Ambinder, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) arrested a suspect yesterday in the March 19 mugging of two female students in the Mather House courtyard.

Kevin Morrison, a 21-year-old Cantabrigian, is charged with two counts of armed robbery.

He was scheduled to appear before a judge in Cambridge yesterday afternoon, according to Anson Kaye, a spokesperson for Middlesex County District Attorney Martha Coakley.

HUPD and Cambridge officers served Morrison with an arrest warrant at his home at 5 Putnam Gardens early yesterday morning, according to HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara.

The victims of the assault, a senior female and a sophomore female who asked not to be named, said they were happy that a suspect is in custody.

"HUPD did a great job" said one of the victims, a senior. "They were really persistent. They kept calling us and asking us for more details," she said.

In their complaint to the HUPD, the victims said that three men between the ages of 16 and 20 followed them into the Mather house courtyard.

One assailant approached from the front, while two others remained behind the women.

One of the men brandished a knife while the others grabbed the victims' handbags, according to police reports.

William Duarte, a security guard on duty, chased the assailants as they fled down Cowperthwaite Street in the direction of Leverett House.

Around $140 in cash was reported stolen. The purse of one of the victims was later recovered in the parking lot of Peabody Terrace, but did not hold any money.

The victims said one of the assailants was a tall white male with dark hair and sideburns. He wore a hooded sweatshirt.

Another stood around 5'6" and wore a beige jacket, the victims said. The third assailant was a white male who wore a black jacket, black knit cap and red sweatshirt, they said.

Police investigators showed the sophomorevictim a "photo array"--pictures of men who fitthe descriptions that the victims had given.

Morrison's photo was included in the array, andthe victim identified him, McNamara said.

Investigators then began compiling informationfor a warrant.

McNamara said she did not know why Morrison'sphoto was among those included in the line-up.

"It's possible it got in from anywhere," shesaid.

Citing the ongoing investigation, McNamarawould not say whether Morrison was identified asthe suspect who displayed the knife.

The two other suspects remain at large.

Security has been tightened from the River tothe Quad amid a spree of high-profile crimes.

In four separate crimes since March 19, sixHarvard-affiliated people have been victims ofassault.

Yesterday's arrest is the second piece of goodnews for the HUPD in the past month.

Two weeks ago, investigators presentedinformation to a grand jury about a suspect in theMarch 9 rape of a Harvard-affiliated woman inByerly Hall.

"This is what happens when we follow up all ofour leads," McNamara said of the Mather Housearrest. "We're successful."

Morrison was not available for commentyesterday

The two other suspects remain at large.