Campus Reacts to Radcliffe Decision

Wilson Resigns To Advance Deal

By Rosalind S. Helderman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

When history books look back at Radcliffe College President Linda S. Wilson, their final chapters will tell a story of self-sacrifice.

On Monday, Wilson announced she would step down from her post to make way for the first dean of the new Radcliffe Institute. And Wilson said yesterday that it is too soon for her to start planning her own future.

"Thinking of myself is really not on the agenda at all at this point," she said.

Sitting wearily but calmly in Fay House's elegant first-floor conference room, Wilson broke her long silence yesterday afternoon regarding the negotiations that have consumed her year.

Wilson declined to discuss her own career goals, but she did not rule out the possibility that she might assume an administrative post elsewhere upon completion of her one-year paid sabbatical, which starts July 1, exactly 10 years after she first took office.

"There's a lot left in me for the next round," she said. "I've had quite a few opportunities since I've been here, and I've turned them all down because I wanted to invest in Radcliffe."

Now, Wilson said she could best invest in theinstitution to which she has devoted a decade bystepping aside.

"A new institute like this needs a newdean--someone's who's prepared to be here for 10more years," she said. "Every time I've changedjobs, it's like something of a shot of adrenaline.The same thing happens [to institutions]."

For the time being, Director of the SchlesingerLibrary and former Smith College President MaryMaples Dunn will be relied upon to administer thatshot. She will take over as interim dean ofRadcliffe on July 1.

A special committee, which will include severalformer Radcliffe trustees, will assist HarvardPresident Neil L. Rudenstine in the selection of apermanent dean. Wilson said her role in thatdecision will be limited.

"It would be unusual for a president to chooseher successor," she said, but added that in thefuture, "I will give to Radcliffe as Radcliffeasks me to give."

Yesterday's interview topped off a day in whichWilson conducted what she called a "whirlwindtour" of Radcliffe's staff, meeting with employeesand helping them understand Tuesday'sannouncement.

Wilson said staff members have questioned howRadcliffe will implement the agreement--questionsthat have yet to be answered.

"They're so smart. They raise importantquestions," she said.

Expressing relief that she is now able to speakpublicly about the future of her institution atlast, Wilson yesterday shared a few details aboutthe negotiation process for the first time.

She attributed the crucial element of thedeal's finalization to "chemistry," a criticalconjunction of a significant capital campaign atRadcliffe and an increasingly broad academic focusin Radcliffe Yard.

"Our colleagues at Harvard can be veryconfident about what we're building here," shesaid.

Chemistry is a familiar field for Wilson--shereceived a Ph.D. in inorganic chemistry from theUniversity of Wisconsin.

Wilson called the vow of secrecy she hasoperated under for the last year "very hard."

"My best friend is someone I would have wantedto talk to about this. I did not," she said.

In the difficult months that have led up to theunveiling of the finalized deal, Wilson said shehas told only her husband, Paul Smith, about whatwent on behind close doors.

"He's absolutely trustworthy," she said."Sanity is an important value."

When Wilson begins what she claims has been along delayed sabbatical, she will leave Radcliffeas the college's seventh and final president.

"I hadn't even thought about it as being thelast president of Radcliffe College, because I'vebeen so focused on the new incarnation," she saidyesterday, her voice tinged with emotion.

Those who have worked closely with Wilson onbringing forth the deal yesterday praised hercommitment to the future of Radcliffe.

"I think that she really has devoted all of herefforts to bringing the strategic planning to aclose," said Radcliffe Board of Trustees ChairmanNancy Beth G. Sheerr '71. "I think she really hasput her future aside.