FRIDAY APR 23

LISTINGS

We are big here on being there before it ever got anywhere. The place to this weekend is the NEMO Music Showcase. Kicked off by the 12th Annual Kahlua Boston Music Awards on Thursday night (with the Creek's Pacey Witter presenting the prestigious award for Act of the Year), the Showcase covers everything from rock to hip-hop to folk to R&B to country, featuring close to 200 up-coming-and-almost-there new unsigned, Indie and major label acts. Previous showcases have platformed Aerosmith, De La Soul, Ben Arnold, Face To Face, Kristin Hersh and Fishbone. A $20 wristband will let you club-hop through Boston's top clubs for both Friday and Saturday: we suggest My Favorite Relative (Bill's Bar), Joel Cage (Club Passim), Sheila Divine (Upstairs at the Middle East) and Hummer (TT The Bear's) on Friday; and Brass Monkeys (Greek American Political Club), Tommy Castro (House of Blues), Buck Dewey Big Band (Lizard Lounge) and Sara Wheeler (The Paradise) on Saturday. Alternatively, you can just pay the cover for one club and stay there, but where's the fun in that? Chase you music. For further information, call (781) 306-0441, or visit www.nemo99.com.

Performance artists in the Square (those without extended vocal technique) had better watch out. Composer, singer, filmmaker and director/choreographer Meredith Monk performs her "Celebration Service." Expect the truly artsy to come out of the woodwork for this one. Sanders Theatre. 496-2222. 8 p. m. $28/$22/$18/$10.

The Blodgett Chamber Music Series at Harvard presents the Mendelssohn String Quartet, playing Mozart's String Quartet No. 1 in F Major, K. 590, Brahms' Clarinet Quintet in b minor, Op. 115, and Mozart's Clarinet Quintet in A Major, K. 581. Only two tickets available per person. Paine Hall. 496-2222 8 p.m. FREE.

So you're not into the clubbing scene. You can still say you want to get down at "Acis" instead of "Axis." The Harvard Early Music Society presents Handel's Acis and Galatea. Lowell Hall. 496-2222. 8 p.m. $5.

Hey, pre-frosh. You're probably going to get drunk and go to Tommy's tonight, but here's something you might want to tell your parents you did this weekend: heard the former president of Ecuador at a public address by Jamil Mahuad. Institute of Politics, 79 JKF St., Littauer Building, KSG. 495-1360, 4:30 p.m. FREE.

Bug President Wilson about the future of Radcliffe while listening to classical music and eating better-than-average HDS food. The real reason she will be here is not to chitchat about the current state of Radcliffe, but to promote women in science fields at the 10th Annual Student Faculty Banquet for Women in Science at Harvard-Radcliffe. So she won't have any idea it's coming. Expect performances from the Chamber Ensemble and the 'Cliffe Notes. Dining Hall Pforzheimer House, Harvard University, 6 p.m. Seating is limited to 100 students and Faculty. RSVP to Women in Science, at wishr@hcs.harvard.edu. Invitations are available in Cabot Science Library in the WISHR Box.

Ol' blue eyes would be oh ever so proud. Get as close as you can to the Chairman of the Board without digging underground. Rebecca Parris, Steve Marvin, Kenny Hadley Big Band, Robin McElhatten and Trio chill on stage. Museum of Our National Heritage, 33 Marrett Rd., Rte. 2A, Lexington. (781) 259-0250. 8 p.m. $15-$25.

One of the founders of rock 'n roll, the one and only Richie Havens, will be shaking everyone in their seats with his folk/blues/pop repertoire. He played at Woodstock and now he's headed for Somerville stardom. Somerville Theatre, Davis Square, Somerville. 931-2000. 8 p.m. $18.

It's no Leverett '80s dance, but check out this unique Me Decade act. John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band gets the floor rocking tonight. Regency Ballroom, Johnson & Wales Inn, 213 Taunton Ave., Seekonk (508) 336-8700. Doors open at 8 p.m., show starts at 10 p.m. $10 advance, $12 at door.

Darwinism has gone awry once more with "Evolution of the Night," the opening dance party for Venu, a rookie club billing itself as "the world's newest nightclub." Be sure to be properly attired or you won't get a chance to view all of the excitement pumping from DJ Tassos and DJ Alex. 21+. 100 Warrenton St. 236-4746. 11 p.m.

"In Close Quarters." See Thursday listings for details.

"The Hong Kong." See Thursday listing for details.