Diversity Among Faculty Increases

By Rosalind S. Helderman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Continued growth in the number of the Faculty women and "encouraging increases" in the number of tenured miniority Faculity were the highlights of the University's annual affirmative action report, presented to the Faculty Council yesterday.

The Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS) met last year's goal with the promotion of one black Faculty members to a tenure position-- and exceeded its goal for women Faculty giving tenure to six professors.

The report is an except from a longer document required to be to be filed annually with with the federal government. The increase are concentrated in the Humanities and social science with no growth in the female tenure ranks in the natural sciences.

The report singled out the singled out the anthropology department for praise for apponting two women to tenure positions. "The news seems to be relatively good this year. The statiistics--low as they may seem--look better than the year before," said Cabot Professor of English Literature Werner Sollors, a council member. "There was sort of a sentiment on the council that we're all trying to accomplish this goals of making the numbers higher."

Yet Secretary of the Faculty John B.Fox Jr. '59 noted that the number at tenured minority Faculty members at Harvard continues to lag behind peer institutions.

"At the tenure level, a we're below the middle of the range," he said.

According to the report, only 7.6 percent of senior Faculty members are members of miniorty groups. With 58 positions, women make up 13.4 percent of tenured Faculty positions.

And Sollors pointed out that much of the growth in tenured black Faculty has come through the appoinments of the Afro-American studies department .

"When I look around the whole Faculty--[and] I've been here 15 years--it's an amazing fact that so much of the minority Faculty hiring has taken place exclusively in the Alfo-American studies department," he said.

Sollor encouraged the University to continue to increase the ranks of minority Faculty, and to focus on growth in new areas.

Richards professor of Chemistry Cynthia M.Friend, also a member of the council, said minority growth in certain areas, especially the science , can be difficult.

"There are not as many minoritycandidates," she said. "If you havean excellent minority candidate, they will be highly sought after. a department would have to go out of their way to attract that candidate. It has to be an active process, not a passive."

Departmental efforts to recurit minority professors who have their choice of academic offers have been aided by the President's Outreach Fund. According to the report, the money provides funds for"over budget" appiontments in depqartments where women and minorites are traditionally underrespresented.

The report shows that the numbers of the women and minorities in the ranks of so-called "ladder Faculty"--assistant and associate professors--are considerably higher. Women make up over one-third ofthe Faculty's 172 ladder Faculty, while minorities comprise 15.1 percent of the same group.

"as in the case of women, the absolute number of minority scholars in the untenured ranks has remined nearly constant over a period in which the total numberof untenured Faculty hasd declined by some 20 percent over five years," the report said. "The continued success of efforts in this area is significant, especiallyin light of the very attractive offers often received by outstanding minority scholars from other institutions."

The report, which restates Harvard's commitment to diverifying its Faculty ranks, encourages departments to aggerssively recruit underrepresented groups. Including among the report's specific sugestion are widespread advertising of Faculty postions and increased consultation with other institutions about potential qualified candidates.

Interdisciplinary Ph.Ds

In other business , the Faculty Council heard preliminary discussion of two new Ph.D Programs.

The first would be a joint venture between the Division of Engineering and Applied Science in FAS and the Harvard Business School to offer a degree in Information Technology and Management.

"There are some things going on in information technology right now that really challenge the problem as it orginally has been posed," said Professor of Business Administration Macro Iansiti, who is working to develop the program.

Ian siti said the program would provide"bridge across disciplines that have traditionally been isolated. This has the potential of creating fundamental new ways of looking at the fields."

A new doctoral program in the Department of Afro-American Studies was also discussed at yesterday's meeting.

Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Science Christoph J. Wolff said a Harvard Afr0-American studies Ph.D program couldhave profound effect on the field.

"I think it would have an impact on national affairs, since Af-Am does need Faculty for its further growth," he said. "Harvard really does have a very balanced and attractive undergraduate program, but no graduate program that would be table to teach people elsewhere."

Wolff said that in comprison to Yale and Berkeley's doctoral programss, which are largely humanities-based, a Harvard program could build on the department's existing strength : its links to the social science . Many Afro-American studies professors hold joint appionments with other Harvard departments and Faculities.

"I'm pretty confident that the two programs will be accepted either this spring or early next fall," Wolff said.

The Faculty Council also considered a proposal by Dean of the College Harry R.Lewis '68 to compile a list of the various ways a student can be forced to take a leave of absence fro college. Currently thyese regulations, which include sereve untreated psychological illness and non-payment of tution bills are scattered throughout the student handbook.

Interdisciplinary Ph.Ds