M. Lax Holds Off UVM

By William P. Bohlen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

A late blitz of goals from Vermont could not stop the Harvard men's lacrosse team from winning. HARVARD7 Vermont  6

Playing in Burlington, the Crimson (3-3,1-0 Ivy) staved off three Catamount goals in the final 3:09 to hold on for a 7-6 victory.

Vermont (2-4)struck first against the No.20Harvard squard, grabbing a goal 1:21 into the game for quick lead.

The two teams traded goals until they were tied at three apiece.

Before the end of the second period, however, the crimson emerged with a lead.

Freshman midfielder Michael Baly and sophomore attacker Dana Sprong found the back of the Catamount net for a 5-3 Crimson lead.

Unlike lighting, Harvard struck twice in the third period, one goal from sophomore midfielder Adam McGowan and one from junior attacker Lawson Devries, for a 7-3 stronghold lead.

The margin stayed the same until the Catamounts mounted a comeback in the waning minutes, including their last goal with less than a minute left, that would ultimately to no avail.

Harvard's Keith Cynar had 12 saves for the Crimson , helping them to their 10th win in the last 11 meetings between the two teams Vermont's Brendan Hall stoped 16 Harvard shots.Harvard outshot Vermont 37 to 28.

De Vries and McGowan led the Crimson with two goals and two assists apiece.

Baly, Sprong, and sophomore midfielder Matt Schuh each added a goal and an assist for the Harvard attack.

Harvard travels to Ithaca on Saturday to face Cornell. Game time is 1 p.m.

HARVARD, 7-6 at Burlington , VT Harvard  2  3  2  0  -  7 UVM  1  2  0  3  -  6 G:UVM-Dias 2, Moyer, Edwards, Williamson. Sheehan; Harvard-DeVries 2, McGowan 2, Baly, Ginty, Hisler, Torney; Harvard-De Vries 2, McGown 2, Baly,Sprong, Schuh, S: UVM-HAll 16; Harvard-Cynar 12.