Women Leaders Do Brunch at KSG

By Hoon-jung Kim, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Twenty female undergraduates and about 40 students at the Kennedy School of Government (KSG) met with current and former female heads of state over breakfast yesterday to discuss issues facing women in politics.

The event was sponsored by the Council of Women World Leaders (CWWL), an independent body founded last year at the KSG. It was part of the second annual CWWL summit happening this week at the KSG.

Pamela F. Gordon, Bermuda's first female premier (1997-1998), praised the event after the roundtable discussions, citing the ways the summit helps prepare young women for a future in politics.

"I think this opportunity for students to find out what helps people make decisions gives [them] insight into what goes into political jurisdictions," Gordon said.

Topics of conversation at the varying tables ranged from the difficulties women face in winning re-election to cultural practices that hamper gender equality.

Lynn Martin, former U.S. secretary of labor (1991-1993), noted that most of the leaders at the discussion had held their offices only one term.

"The question now is not how do women get elected, but how do they stay? With the exception of the Scandinavian countries, women leaders have not been re-elected or appointed," Martin said.

Deborah Tannen, author of You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation, said at her roundtable discussion that women in political office are often subjected to scrutiny on trivial matters.

"[The media] often criticizes [female leaders] if their shoes clash with the carpet. And if they don't [clash], then they get criticized for that too," Tannen said.

Rucker A. Alex '99-'00, a member of the Institute of Politics' Student Advisory Committee, was at Tannen's table. She later described the conversation as fantastic.

"We discussed how it's also about the psychology of groups--not just communication differences [between men and women]. Women don't need structures in the ways men do," Alex said.

After the discussions, the leaders gave statements to the entire group about their own political experiences.

Dame E. Charles, former prime minister of the British Commonwealth state of Dominica (1980-95), recalled struggling with preconceptions about gender during her term.

"It used to be said that I was the only man on the cabinet. That used to annoy me because it implied only men could do those things," Charles said.

Martin said these deeply rooted perceptions are exactly why women should become more politically active.

"My single disappointment [at this breakfast] is that none of the students at my table want to run for office. But you can't just work from the outside," Martin said.

"Besides, power is great. Running for office and winning is a terrific high," she quipped.

Jennifer M. Smith, the current premier of Bermuda--a British dependent territory--left students with a final piece of advice.

"When it comes to women and politics, you will be tested. But there's nothing like earning your stripes," Smith said. "The most important thing is to have faith in yourself."

The event was the brainchild of Colleen T. Gaard '99, intern at CWWL and chair of the 1998 Women's Leadership Project, who attended the CWWL last year.

"I was so inspired by my contact with members of the council at the first summit that I jumped at the chance to give others the same opportunity for close, interpersonal conversations," Gaard said.