Faculty Council Elects New Members

By Rachel P. Kovner, Crimson Staff Writer

Six Faculty members have been elected to seats on the Faculty Council--a body which makes recommendations to the full Faculty on proposed changes of academic policy and other legislation--administrators announced last month.

As required by council rules, the new council members are equally divided among the social sciences, humanities and natural sciences.

The representatives from the humanities are Assistant Professor of Sanskrit and Indian Studies Stephanie Jamison and Cabot Professor of English Literature and of Afro-American Studies Werner Sollors.

Professor of Sociology Peter V. Marsden and Zemurray Stone Radcliffe Professor of the History of Science Katharine Park represent the Faculty's social scientists, while Loeb Associate Professor of the Natural Sciences Daniel Schrag and McKay Professor of Computer Science Stuart M. Shieber come from the natural science disciplines.

The six professors will serve three-year terms on the council. Twelve other Faculty members--six are elected each year to three-year terms--will continue to serve on the committee.

In addition to making recommendations to the full Faculty, the council advises the University president on the selection of new deans as well as broader issues such as space allocation and building programs.