Square Sees Change in Store Scene this Summer

By Kirsten G. Studlien, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Renovations continue in Harvard Square this summer, most noticeably in the Read Block adjacent to Cambridge Savings Bank.

Harvard students and Cambridge residents have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new stores in the Read Block since the building closed for renovations in 1997.

Clothing store Pacific Sunwear, which will occupy the basement and first floor on the corner directly next door to Cambridge Savings Bank, will open in August, although an exact date has not been set.

Abercrombie and Fitch, another clothing retailer, is set to move into the first and second floors next to Pacific Sunwear, also in August.

Although the two clothing companies will definitely be open before the return of Harvard students in the fall, Finagle-a-Bagel, which will be located at the other end of the Read Block on JFK Street will likely not open until late September or early October, according to Nelson Goddard of Cambridge Savings Bank.

Also opening this summer will be 7-Eleven on the corner of JFK Street and Mt. Auburn Street. The convenience store is moving into the space formerly occupied by Christy's Market.

Be-Bop Burrito closed its doors earlier this summer, giving way to New England Chowda Company, which is scheduled to open Sept. 1.