Preceptors Select Expos Favorites

By Kirsten G. Studlien, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

After several months of deliberation by the Expository Writing faculty, 10 essays have been chosen as part of Expose, the department's annual magazine.

Expose, a collection of essays written by students in the program, represents the faculty's choices of the year's best student work.

The ten essays were chosen from about 225 submissions, according to Kim Cooper, the editor of Expose.

"That's pretty much the usual number of submissions," Cooper said. "Its usually between 220 and 250, I would imagine."

After consultation with their preceptors, students in the class submit their essays for consideration by all preceptors.

Expository writing preceptors first read the initial submissions and 40 to 50 essays are passed on to the second round. Then the final decisions are made.

"Preceptors are divided into groups of three who submit essays to a second round of reading," Cooper said.

Cooper also said that participants are considered for three prizes--the Sosland Prize, Lawrence Lader Prize and the Richard Marius Prize--and winners go home with a cash award.

"Once we select the essays for Expose, we then select some of those winners for monetary prizes," Cooper said.

The selections for this year's magazine were made in mid-June. Preceptors are currently deciding which essays also deserve the prizes.

According to Cooper, the preceptors attempt to select essays covering a broad range of topics for the magazine.

Essays in Expose are then used as material for subsequent classes of Expository Writing.