Marsalis Performs, Teaches Jazz

By Malik B. Ali, Contributing Writer

An enthusiastic audience was offered three sides of world famous musician Wynton Marsalis--lecturer, performer and educator--at "About Music," an event held at the Harvard Graduate School of Education's Askwith Education Forum on Saturday in the Science Center.

Marsalis is a master of many trades--an award-winning musician, composer and public television personality.

The morning began with performances by the Boston Arts Academy Blues Band and Harvard University's Kuumba Singers.

Reflecting on lecturing after the music preceding his introduction, Marsalis said, "A speech is not what's called for [now]. A speech would be a waste of time."

He chose instead to combine lecture with performance, intertwining music with speech. The audience showed their approval with applause.

Marsalis opened his address with a discussion about the function of art in everyday life. As the audience laughed, Marsalis acted out his playground episodes of storytelling, explaining, "That's art. It's re-creation."

Marsalis condemned the messages communicated in modern hip-hop music. "When I see what some people are doing in the name of music," Marsalis explained, "it's like somebody coming into my house and feeling on my momma."

The second half of Marsalis' lecture was spent discussing jazz music as the "music of democracy." Taking advantage of the Boston Arts Band, Marsalis recreated his first jazz lesson.

He gave each young musician a brief lesson, stressing each instrument's unique aspects and concluded with a discussion of communication and democracy in jazz.

"We're supposed to listen to each other in jazz," he said. "What you discard and what you elevate will determine your identity."

During a question and answer session, Marsalis said many young people do not listen to jazz because it is part of a marginalized culture.

"We just haven't embraced the philosophy of the music and the musicians," he said.

At the conclusion of the lecture, and after many standing ovations, Marsalis performed a one-man duet of George Gershwin's "Embraceable You," simultaneously playing trumpet and piano.

Various University programs have been attempting to bring Marsalis to Harvard for the past three years.

And Saturday, he said he was glad he finally came.

"It's a great place, it's a great experience. I'm just very grateful to be here," he said. Marsalis showed his appreciation by spending over an hour talking with fans after the forum.

Audience members said they were also glad he made the trip.

"As we see arts education programs gradually dying out, it's so important to have people like Wynton, advocates for the arts, stressing their central place in society," said Ashley McCants '02, a Kuumba singer and audience member, of Marsalis' mission.

Marsalis was introduced by Jessica H. Davis, Patricia Bowman chair at the Graduate School of Education. He then gave Davis the Sunny Days Award, which recognizes those who improve and brighten children's lives and is offered by the company which produces the Sesame Street television program. Marsalis is a member of the PBS program's selection committee.

Before leaving, Marsalis offered some final words of advice for students.

"Gore. Gotta go Gore."