IOP Fellows Introduced at Forum

On a stage filled with former mayors, writers, and a past leader of a small island nation, the Institute of Politics (IOP) showcased its new spring fellows last night at the ARCO Forum.

IOP Director Alan K. Simpson moderated the event, entitled "Perspectives on Politics," providing introductions for the new fellows in their first public appearance before the Harvard community.

The five new fellows took the opportunity to share how they became involved in politics and provided an overview of the study groups they will lead during the spring.

Jon Cowan, the chief of staff for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will run a study group entitled "We Got Game," which will focus on how America's youth can become involved in politics.

As a young adult Cowan said he remembers wanting to get involved in civic life.

"We were very frustrated, to put it mildly, with sitting on the sidelines while our futures were getting mortgaged," he said.

Cowan, who also co-founded the youth political action group Lead...or Leave, said he hopes that students will lead rather than follow.

"If you are committed and willing to work hard, you can make a difference," Cowan told the audience. "I hope to teach you how to become a more effective player in the game of politics."

Recommended Articles

IOP Introduces Fellows At ARCO Forum Panel
David Wilhelm, one of this semester's Institute of Polotics (IOP) Fellows, was drawn into politics when he saw his father
Institute Announces Spring Fellows
Only two weeks ago, Jon Cowan was helping to shepherd the Clinton administration's urban policies, and Sam Fulwood was covering
IOP Fellow Considers the Ethics of Journalism
Although the Kennedy School is far away from the Middle East, UPI correspondent Wesley Pippert seems to have adjusted to
IOP Snags Six New Fellows
Six experts with varied political backgrounds--including a top Jackson campaign official and a Midwestern lieutenant governor--will be fellows at the
Protests are Politics Too
Since four Harvard seniors were arrested at a protest against the Fair Trade Agreement of the Americas in Miami two
Top Kerry Aide Headlines Spring IOP Fellow Class
Mary Beth Cahill, the campaign manager for the Kerry-Edwards campaign, may have lost her job when President George W. Bush