Author Lowry Enchants 'Fairy Tales' Class

Lois Lowry, author of such classic children's stories as Number the Stars and The Giver, discussed her works and inspiration with the students of the Literature and Arts A-18: "Fairy Tales, Children's Literature and the Culture of Childhood" yesterday.

Professor of German Maria M. Tatar, who teaches the course, had originally asked Lowry to introduce guest speaker Maurice Sendak, author of Where the Wild Things Are. But Lowry stepped up to fill Sendak's shoes after Sendak injured a tendon and was unable to attend.

The audience sat enraptured throughout the class as Lowry praised Sendak, discussed her works and narrated snapshots of her own life.

Lowry said that although "I cannot possibly measure up to [Sendak's] station...it occurs to me that there is not that much difference between what I did and what Mr. Sendak did."

"What all of us do when we write is send someone on a scary journey," she said.

She said both she and Sendak work to create non-threatening endings to these journeys.

"Things aren't what they seem. You try to tell [things] in such a way that they come to a happy ending," Lowry said.

Lowry added that in both her serious and light works, she tries to create monsters and then present them in an unexpected way.

Recommended Articles

Crimson Stabs MIT, 9-7
After the final bout in last night's women's fencing meet against MIT at the IAB. Harvard captain Nancy Cooper sat
Women Fencers Place Fourth In New England Tournament
The Crimson women's fencing team must have thought it was a Maoist plot. A night before their most important tournament
Women Fencers Pierce Rhode Island College, 15-1
Crimson fencer Bernadette Drankowski lunged forward but the point of her foil blade came up short of her opponent's neck.
Harvard Rallies Against Cancer
Chris Van Allsburg, Lois Lowry Discuss New Book
On Friday, Van Allsburg, whose notable works include “Jumanji” and “The Polar Express,” visited the Brattle Street Theatre alongside Lois Lowry to discuss his new book, “The Chronicles of Harris Burdick.”
College Committee Considers Smoking Ban
At the Committee of Student Life meeting Thursday morning, College administrators and House Masters discussed an initiative proposed that would develop and implement a University-wide smoke-free policy.